Witch Hazel

Neil Miller said:
I used to use it - I had a lot of the BP small medical bottles of the lotion (my aunt used to work in a hospital and I was fascinated by anything to do with hospitals - she used to give me wonderful presents like plasters, slings, temporary stitches... :? ) - it is a lot less astringent than alum.

Incidentally, it is also used to reduce swelling, especially in cases of haemorrhoids!

Now, where's that Farmer Giles aftershave balm...
Hi Neil! Your list of what your Aunt used to bring you home from the hospital was beginning to get a bit worrying, I'm glad you stopped when you did! :) Your last piece of information is very interesting. I think I could really do with a bottle of W.H! Now let me see, how would the morning routine go: Some on the face, then some up the bum, no, some up the bum and then some on the face, no,no ummm... I am always half asleep when I get into the Bathroom mornings, but I reckon I would know right away if I got that particular routine round the wrong way :lol:

Regardez, spandex..

moodymick said:
OK i may be getting sold on this, but where is the best place (ie cheapest) to get it from.
Hey moodymick, how you doin' ! I am sorry to digress from this subject, but being new on here, I just have to ask you - who is that on your fantastic Avatar? I keep on running back and forth across the members entries just to have another look !! I think I am beginning to feel ill. I will have to go to bed in a minute because of it :lol:

Cheers, spandex..

spandexcodpiece said:
Hi Neil! Your list of what your Aunt used to bring you home from the hospital was beginning to get a bit worrying, I'm glad you stopped when you did! :)

You're worried - I was only 7 or 8 at the time - all the other kids got model cars and trainsets... :shock:

Damian Murphy said:
Is it worth going for Thayers rather than the generic witch Hazel ? I've never used Thayer's myself .

I prefer Thayers to the stuff you can get from Boots etc. Despite what you add to it it still honks a bit. Thayers is lovely stuff.

N_Architect said:
Now that you guys brought this up and since I am a novice in many issues, I also have a question:

I do use alum, but never used WH before (have no clue how it feels, or what it does).

Are they supposed to be something like the same? I wouldn't think so, but have to ask, you know...
Is WH something like a 'natural' after shave? Does it have a smell? It appears people use it here and there...

Do they put AS or ASB after using WH?

UPDATE: I've just seen that Slow, for example, uses both...

Slow Shaving said:
Tuesday 06-04-10.

Soap from Marseille - Semogue 730HD silvertip - Gillette SS 40's style - Shark#1 - Dr. Harris Arlington shaving cream - Alum block - Toner Thayers Original - ASL Grey Flannel.
Yes, I do. For me both are terrific shaving tools and the alum is an incredible deodorant too. Indispensable shaving stuffs for me. The way I use:

- For shaving: After the shave and the cold water rinse, you wet the alum in cold water and apply the wet Alum (gently) over all the shaving area. Wait some minutes or seconds, just to feel out? (grammar dude) the itch. Then wash your face twice with cold water, dry softly and apply Thayers, lets air-dry too and apply your favorite After shave. It works perfect for me. An other aspect of alum is to use it to improve the shaving technique because it itchs more in the bad shaved areas. I use this information to try to improve my technique the next shave.

-Like deodorant (only alum): I dry my armpits, wet the alum in cold water and apply gently the wet Alum. Let air-dry and apply my favorite deodorant or cologne. It's amazing.

Noted w/ tks, Slow.

I use the alum after the shave and warm or cold rinse; I do not dry my face before and do not wet the alum bar. Yes, the alum shows the 'points of concern' in the face after a shave.

Nice idea on the alum as a pre-deo application.

selecta said:
I reckon i may get a few of those sample size bottles that someone linked to a while back, do you guys who use thayers recommend the alcohol free versions, they may be less drying?

I think when people talk about Thayers on the Badger and Blade forum they're most often referring to the alcohol-free 'Toner' versions, but many people use the 'Astringent' types or the Medicated Superhazel too, which both contain alcohol. Here's a link to the B&B Reviews page in case you're not familiar with it.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=42&ltr=T&sort=&order=

I think the general consensus is that, as you say, the alcohol-free ones are slightly more moisturising / less drying, but the Astringents are still only 10% alcohol (I think) which is far less than a normal aftershave splash, and probably fine for almost anyone. I have the unscented toner and am pretty much sold on it. It's an extremely gentle but effective aftershave product but it's also great for 'refreshing' the face during the day, especially on areas that look a bit oily.

Are you talking about http://www.successfulsinging.co.uk? I used this a month or so ago. The delivery was extremely fast and it's a great option for trying the products out, but iHerb.com is much cheaper and the international delivery fee is apparently only $4 flat so that might be worth considering for a bigger purchase.

All the best,
Pete

Neil Miller said:
spandexcodpiece said:
Hi Neil! Your list of what your Aunt used to bring you home from the hospital was beginning to get a bit worrying, I'm glad you stopped when you did! :)

You're worried - I was only 7 or 8 at the time - all the other kids got model cars and trainsets... :shock:
Oh Neil, I've just copped this reply of yours, and laugh, my giddy aunt, you certainly tickled my funny bone there. Thank you for that my friend. :lol:

moodymick said:
That is Miss Charlotte Church - hitting the in time for first orders ;)
Reeely...well I'll be blowed! I never would have guessed! I know she changed from an "opera chick" to a "rock chick"but all the same.... I see you have done away with that particular avatar now! Shame in a way, but all for the best I suppose(sigh) :( Anyway, I shall definitely be getting some Thayers from successfulsinging.co.uk It sounds like It will come in handy for multiple use- in my case at least :lol:

Regardez, spandex.

Back
Top Bottom