Witch hazel

Ids

Will it help with razor bumps? What are the benefits? Why do you use it?
I'm interested and thought I'd get a discussion going

I tried some for a while. I picked up some Thayers witch hazel - it's a liquid and I put it in an atomiser and sprayed it on. I can't say it made any difference at all to my shave. I wouldn't have thought it would have much impact on razor bumps.

I'm giving my face a couple days rest for the irritation to clear up and just wondered would it speed the healing process up?

Bumps are a form of ingrown. It's a natural astringent so it might help but not as much as proper technique.

Give your skin a good break, forget shaving close, shave WTG only for a couple of passes for a couple of weeks with the same set up and until it becomes irritation and bump free.

A good aftershave will help.

I do not think it will help much in your case. Good prep, technique will go along way towards fixing your bumps. I would suggest you try alum & a good after shave.

I never found it made any noticeable difference to me after shaving. I used to use it on insect bites, but now I just use Tea Tree, Aloe Vera or even my Alum tablet.

JohnnyO. :|

I find that it does help to calm things when I've over done it, or used a blade that I don't get on with, but wouldn't expect it to do anything for bumps.

I've also found it good for insect bites and I've rubbed it on bruises from sparring, but whether it helps or its the rubbing it in that helps is unclear!

Likewise whether it would help the healing process is debatable but I wouldn't have thought there would be much harm in using it.

Quite mixed reviews.

Razor bumps is probabily the wrong word it's more a rash and irritation for me.

I was using alum but it was seeming to make the rash and irritation worse.

Ids said:
Quite mixed reviews.

Razor bumps is probabily the wrong word it's more a rash and irritation for me.

I was using alum but it was seeming to make the rash and irritation worse.

Only one way to find out, give it a go and see if it helps!

Witch hazel is very good, very moisturizing (Thayers, aloe vera). I was surprised when I tried it.

But this is not what you need right now. Your skin needs something that works well for calming down and soothing.

You could try using some natural Calendula cream. It is used extensively in homeopathy.
This is very good for the skin and will definitely assist, without putting you in risk from any possible (even if they are minor) side effects.

I fully agree with antdad and fozz on that taking a step back and leaving your skin to relax a bit is best, along with careful technique from now on during shaving.
What I could not understand though is what they meant by saying that you need "...a good aftershave..." - what would that be? for sure not containing alcohol, but after that what? Speick, perhaps? (because of the natural plant extract?) Would be good to have an example, guys.

N_Architect said:
Witch hazel is very good, very moisturizing (Thayers, aloe vera). I was surprised when I tried it.

But this is not what you need right now. Your skin needs something that works well for calming down and soothing.

You could try using some natural Calendula cream. It is used extensively in homeopathy.
This is very good for the skin and will definitely assist, without putting you in risk from any possible (even if they are minor) side effects.

I fully agree with antdad and fozz on that taking a step back and leaving your skin to relax a bit is best, along with careful technique from now on during shaving.
What I could not understand though is what they meant by saying that you need "...a good aftershave..." - what would that be? for sure not containing alcohol, but after that what? Speick, perhaps? (because of the natural plant extract?) Would be good to have an example, guys.

Thanks, I picked some witch Hazel up this morning and it appers to be helping, I know my face needs a rest but such is my job that I must shave everyday, weekends are my only rest.

For sure it should contain alcohol, I'm a fan of using alcohol to reduce irritation, it is an antiseptic after all and I don't find it drying or damaging as is often claimed. Most witch hazel has some alcohol in it anyway, if it fails to do the job find some off the shelf aftershave you like and use it liberally.

On occasion I use Glysolid skin cream or ointment. It's a German product fairly widely available (for some reason) in Asian mini markets. It's mainly glycerine & allantoin I believe & I first came across it through its wide usage in Skin & ante natal clinics for various dry skin conditions & nappy rash. (Not suggesting that anyone gets nappy rash on the neck !)

JohnnyO. :) /

This is sounding alot like a poor blade / technique issue, it has been known for a duff blade to pop up in the middle of a good pack. Once you have that sorted out & are shaving with the grain only there is a better than good chance that the bumps will no longer be an issue. Poor technique with a good blade will also give you problems, sometimes along time after the shave. If you could give us a break down of your routine, we might be able to pin point it.

As for the alum causing irritation, Dr Henk will have the answer. I think it has antiseptic / disinfectant properties. I agree with antdad on the aftershave. The witchazel will act as a mild form of aftershave as it is an astringent in itself & as has been mentioned, some have alcohol in them anyway.

Back
Top Bottom