Windrose Slant Razor

Several people asked about the razor, and now I have had time to shave with it more thought I would share my thoughts.

The Fit and finish are very nice and the Comb is beautifully rounded so feels very smooth against the face, the blade has a small amount of play but is easily aligned.

To Start with the Handle on the Razor is quite heavy 102g and the head 38g whilst it is the heaviest razor I have shaved with, it actually has a very nice balance and it sits in the hand perfectly.

The shave is efficient but comfortable and I think because of the weight in the razor it requires a light touch, but once I worked this out the shave is good and very effortless. I tried putting the razor on a lighter handle 70g but for me the balance is better on the more substantial handle it came with.

I tend to favour blades that are just below the sharpest on the scale , and this razor coupled with something like a Gillette Yellow , GSB or Kai gives me a really close and comfortable shave.
IMG_20190217_154007172.jpg

IMG_20190217_153958231.jpg

IMG_20190217_154135533.jpg

That's a very interesting review. Windrose are my preferred choice for handles, of which I now have several, and I keep looking at this and the CC version. You might have just tipped the scales towards my getting one or the other; especially as the heads are available separately.

That's a very interesting review. Windrose are my preferred choice for handles, of which I now have several, and I keep looking at this and the CC version. You might have just tipped the scales towards my getting one or the other; especially as the heads are available separately.
I have the CC version.....definitely into R41 territory!

I have the CC version.....definitely into R41 territory!
That I can handle. The only razor, which I think is improved by not putting a blade in it, is the Ikon Tech.

I take it that this razor doesn't suffer from the same fiddly blade alignment problems as the original Ikon stainless, which almost always takes me a few tries to get it right.

Windrose seems to have a religious fervour for slants. I'm sure they'd sell more if they did a really well engineered SB and OC combination.
You're right. I'm not sure what their set-up is, but it does seem to be quite a niche, one-man style operation. If that be so, and their razors aren't a brand out in quantity in the open market, I guess sales will always be limited. Personally, I like to buy from such makers; provided that the product is good. I suppose it's analogous to the individual craftsmen brush makers.

That I can handle. The only razor, which I think is improved by not putting a blade in it, is the Ikon Tech.

I take it that this razor doesn't suffer from the same fiddly blade alignment problems as the original Ikon stainless, which almost always takes me a few tries to get it right.

It does have a little play on the 2 end posts but seems to want to sit pretty well , so I just centre by eye and it holds in place while I tighten the handle and it remains in place, so very easy to align.

It does have a little play on the 2 end posts but seems to want to sit pretty well , so I just centre by eye and it holds in place while I tighten the handle and it remains in place, so very easy to align.
Thanks. Out of interest, are the blade end-tabs covered by the top cap, or do they protrude either end (I favour the covered type)?

Windrose seems to have a religious fervour for slants. I'm sure they'd sell more if they did a really well engineered SB and OC combination.

Yes they seem to have a passion for the 2 slant designs , I think they did an OC in their early days too, but I guess it is difficult for a small maker to perfect all designs.

Thanks. Out of interest, are the blade end-tabs covered by the top cap, or do they protrude either end (I favour the covered type)?
They are completely covered when tightened , being a slant the bottom cap sits off until tightened so you can hold the ends as you start to tighten to ensure alignment, so best of both worlds really.

Back
Top Bottom