Wilkinson Sword Empire

Wasn't sure where to put this, as there doesn't seem to quite be a category for razors like the Ever-Ready 1912 or Wilkinson Sword Empire that aren't DE but aren't really a straight razor either.

Question is this: anyone using or used a Wilkinson Sword Empire razor? They seem to crop up fairly regularly on the 'bay and to my eye they are lovely looking things, but searching on here hasn't thrown up very much information. Anyone regularly using one who can offer an opinion, even if it's 'don't!'

I picked one off the bay with the intention of giving SE razor's a try.

Had a couple of problems:

1. It looks fscking lethal! Bottled it.
2. It was in NOS condition & I was reluctant to use it.

I've now picked up a gem 1912 and "another" to try.

Just got to source some blades now.

The Wilky Empire takes a solid Wedge Blade, impossible to buy any made nowadays, never seen any NOS, i guess it is a case of finding a set with blades that are in half decent conditon and sharpen them up again.

Valet Auto Strops (only some models) can take a GEM Stainless SE Blade with the spine removed.

All the Gem / Ever Ready ones can take the GEM Stainless SE Blades that Paul at Connaught sells.

The Valet is gonna be my next project, wanna get one and tru with a modified gem blade.

sunburyboy93 said:
Valet Auto Strops (only some models) can take a GEM Stainless SE Blade with the spine removed.

I think I remember reading somewhere that Feather single edge blades fit the Valet Autostrop. Something about them acquiring the design years ago.

Yellow Jim said:
sunburyboy93 said:

I think I remember reading somewhere that Feather single edge blades fit the Valet Autostrop. Something about them acquiring the design years ago.

Not exactlty, feather makes special blades that fit the Valet autostrop, they're available from a US vendor I forgot the name of at 5 USD a packet if I'm not mistaken.

Max

Back
Top Bottom