Why Have More Than One ?

The original question was, I think, partly about whether having multiple razors was functionally better or whether One great razor is enough. I find if I shave with the same razor repeatedly, my skin gets tired of it and plays up. But if I vary the razor, or the settings on an adjustable razor, it seems to give my skin a rest somehow. I don't know why. I always thought that a mild razor could be used indefinitely but I find the occasional super-close shave helps. I also like the collecting and experimenting, but there does seem to me to be a benefit from varying the routine. So I have lots of razors and rotate them. I have lots of vintage Gillette razors and they get used the most. I love the Black Beauty/slim adjustable (and have three, all slightly different). But I also love the heavier ball-end Tech. At the other extreme I liked my PAA Bakelite slant (and regret selling it) and the lethal R41.

Why Have More Than One ?

Because.....

bFL8tA1.jpg

I shave with all of mine in a rotation that will take more than a year to get through. They all shave perfectly and I could use any one of them as my "only" razor, but I'm a vintage guy, and I appreciate the different years, styles, weights, looks, and feel of the different ones. I would keep them even if I didn't use them.

It doesn't matter what razor you use, or what the price tag said, they all shave unless they're broken. I do believe it's a bit foolish to spend heavily for a shaver, when 20 bucks will get you a great razor.

OP
Mike Smart

Mike Smart

Supporter
Supporter
I shave with all of mine in a rotation that will take more than a year to get through. They all shave perfectly and I could use any one of them as my "only" razor, but I'm a vintage guy, and I appreciate the different years, styles, weights, looks, and feel of the different ones. I would keep them even if I didn't use them.

It doesn't matter what razor you use, or what the price tag said, they all shave unless they're broken. I do believe it's a bit foolish to spend heavily for a shaver, when 20 bucks will get you a great razor.

That's a bit like saying why buy a wine at £10 when a £3 wine will still get you drunk.
for me the feel of a turned stainless is far superior to a say injection moulded.
Having said that i do agree that vintage is probably the way to go

Last edited:
I've had loads of razors, from vintage to current ones. Once I got a Karve, I thinned my collection massively. Swapped the Karve brass for a stainless one, and now instead of drawers full, I have the Karve, a Schick E, and a vintage Schick shavette. All the best in their areas (for me). It was the thrill of the chase, trying something new which got me. These three razors are so good, I don't feel the chase is there any more.

Hobby​

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"A hobby is considered to be a regular activity that is done for enjoyment, typically during one's leisure time. Hobbies include collecting themed items and objects, engaging in creative and artistic pursuits, playing sports, or pursuing other amusements. Participation in hobbies encourages acquiring substantial skills and knowledge in that area. " :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Again because I'm looking for the holy grail razor, now I've found the Karve razor I think I could easily get away with selling the 4 razors I have from before that including my RR GC .84, Merkur progress 500 etc :)
Does this mean I have to try a Karve now? Bloody hell, I thought I'd found what I wanted and here you've got me thinking I'm all wrong!
Don't tell the wife though, she'd think she could then start spending even more on shoes and make-up!

I've never been a collector. I've also never really got the whole "retail therapy" thing. I normally research, then buy what I need within budget, which may expand a bit for quality. Once I've got something I generally never sell it but use it for years and years.

At first with shaving it was curiosity: what might I be missing out on? Also, work and lockdown have been doing me in. I wanted an interest that would be calming and involve taking pride in my appearance even if I wasn't leaving the house, a bit of "me time" if you will.

Now I have more than enough shaving gear to not really need to buy anything ever again, but being on here and seeing what people get up to does tend to make you want to join in!

I now have a boar, badger and a handful of cool synthetic brushes, a modern DE, a '60s ball end Tech, 2 vintage straights and a modern Koraat. I do like the whole "vintage" thing and am pleased as punch with the old Tech. The straights also give me something to maintain, thereby learning how to keep them super sharp.

It's just fun really, and although I only need one razor, brush, soap etc it's a relatively inexpensive hobby and it's just nice to have the choice, or a rotation, rather than same old same old. For me it's not about the perfect shave: that's usually down to mastery of technique than acquisition of the ultimate kit.

Top Bottom