Why do we rotate our stuff?

You would think that after years of wet shaving we would all have decided by now which razor, blades, soap/cream we like the best and just stick to that combination. But no, we all have loads of different soaps and creams and razors and blades and keep swopping everything around all the time. Can we not make up our minds? Are we all still trying to find the perfect combination for us? Or is shaving like eating, where you wouldn't want to eat the same dinner every day no matter how nice it tasted...

Variety, it's the spice of life!

Your food analogy is quite right in my opinion, I sniff a few soaps before I decide which one to use, hold a razor or 2 in my hands, and decide..
I think it depends on mood as well, time of day, I'm a food person, and for me it's a bit like cooking, there are millions of ways to do it!

Max

The last one. :D

At least for me. I am at the beginning of this, so everything is reasonably new and fresh. I have partly the excitement and newness of it all to drive me, but I am still trying to perfect my technique. My aims are to get a great shave, and that's coming. However, there are so many variables, which is why it's interesting. I am amazed how much the simple act of changing (or not changing) a blade can impact on the shave. Moreover, when it does come right it feels great. So that's also an attraction – I have already had great shaves and 'meh' shaves, and I know which one I prefer. That's also where the addictive part of it comes in.

I also have the hardware side of things, which is also trial and error. I am going to play with things and some things are not going to work and some are. I like toys. :hungrig

It's just a journey, innit? And even if I found the "perfect" combination, blades would disappear, products would also appear and need trying out, etc… It just goes on and on. If it stagnated, I guess it wouldn't be quite so interesting.

What do I know?

Lipsy

I am beginning to find that although I have enough hardware and software to make many, many combinations I am beginning to settle on slight variations of a few themes.

Each theme will depend on how much time I have to carry out my shave, how I feel physically and what condition my skin is.

It's great to then be able to pull together an assortment of hardware and software which I hope will give me the best possible shave and leave my skin feeling as good as it can afterwards.

Also, there is a part of me that llikes tweaking things to find out the best combination and I find this quite true with one of my other hobbies car detailing for which I have loads of polishes, waxes, quick detailers, snow foams, microfibre cloths, etc.

Because we can.
Would you read the same book over and over again for ever just because you liked it. would you do the same walk over and over.
Life is too short to just make do and stagnate in anything. It's change that keeps things fresh and interesting. I was once in a rut of the same crap cartridge and can of goo, and found i couldn't be arsed half the time. Now i look forward to indulging in a small bit of me time, and this has spilled over in me actually taking an interest in taking care of the rest of me. Win win I feel.

Lipsy said:
The last one. :D

At least for me. I am at the beginning of this, so everything is reasonably new and fresh. I have partly the excitement and newness of it all to drive me, but I am still trying to perfect my technique. My aims are to get a great shave, and that's coming. However, there are so many variables, which is why it's interesting. I am amazed how much the simple act of changing (or not changing) a blade can impact on the shave. Moreover, when it does come right it feels great. So that's also an attraction – I have already had great shaves and 'meh' shaves, and I know which one I prefer. That's also where the addictive part of it comes in.

I also have the hardware side of things, which is also trial and error. I am going to play with things and some things are not going to work and some are. I like toys. :hungrig

It's just a journey, innit? And even if I found the "perfect" combination, blades would disappear, products would also appear and need trying out, etc… It just goes on and on. If it stagnated, I guess it wouldn't be quite so interesting.

What do I know?

Lipsy

I totally agree with this!

Adam D said:
I am beginning to find that although I have enough hardware and software to make many, many combinations I am beginning to settle on slight variations of a few themes.

Each theme will depend on how much time I have to carry out my shave, how I feel physically and what condition my skin is.

It's great to then be able to pull together an assortment of hardware and software which I hope will give me the best possible shave and leave my skin feeling as good as it can afterwards.

Also, there is a part of me that llikes tweaking things to find out the best combination and I find this quite true with one of my other hobbies car detailing for which I have loads of polishes, waxes, quick detailers, snow foams, microfibre cloths, etc.

Another fellow car detailer! I just hope this new thing we've found turns into how crazy i have got with car detailing.

Makes you feel good though don't it!

Back
Top Bottom