Who was it...?

I'd hate to be the poor bastard who put the €304,00 bid in, only to be beat out by someone with a previous high bid of .03 higher.

It was always going to be won by a small margin, those final two bidders were going at it from the very beginning and the last two were automatic.

It was always going to be won by a small margin, those final two bidders were going at it from the very beginning and the last two were automatic.
Not quite true. The second highest bid (at €303.03) was placed 1 1/2 hours before the end of the auction. The winning bidder ( then at €130) goes on increasing his bid by about €10 until he's the highest bidder 1 hour 10 minutes before the end of the auction. Then nothing happens until the auction ends. Had the second highest bidder sniped at €300 five seconds before the end of the auction, he probably would have won the auction and probably got the razor at about €135. The winning bidder only has 17 ratings, so he's an excitable newbie. I'd rather not attract their attention by leaving a bid. That's why I snipe.

I snipe, always without exception, I have a price in mind for every item I have an interest in, if that price is exceeded at any point I remove the item from my watch list.
I never ever place a bid until the last few seconds, when I bid it will always be for the price I had in my head at the first viewing, this is the true version of sniping, some I win some I lose, I never pay too much, I often pay to little.

Last snipe, Ever ready 1912, paid £4.10, my snipe bid was £15.01,
If someone had bid a maximum £15.00 then it would be shaving their stubble not mine.

I too almost only bid by Gixen now after someone here recommended it. I used to think it was, er, ungentlemanly, but have come around to the idea that everyone is free to set their maximum bid in advance. The first time I used it, it screwed up, or rather eBay rejected it when Gixen tried to log-in to my account. Since then it has been totally reliable.

I use auction sniper. When I'm on the hunt I'm usually looking at high end razors mostly NOS so I'm not thinking of bargains just how much is it worth to me, I have a price in my head anything above that and I have no regrets should I lose the winning bid, only once have I ever got into a bidding war I won the razor but even then I still got the razor for a lower price than what it was really worth on the market, well it was a legendary Iwasaki western style NOS, if the same razor had come up on Ebay I wouldn't have stood a chance.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom