Hello,
I am new to shaving with a straight. I have received my straight razor ( a Peter J. Michaels Merit) and have a kamisori on it's way. Just need a strop now.I wanted to have a cheap strop to start with as I certainly won't know how to use it properly yet. Also because I don't know if shaving with a straight is the solution for me. I have seen the poor mans kit from whippeddog. Does anyone have any experience with it? Or could someone suggest me a cheap strop which could also work? And finally, should I take a hanging strop or something else? Many thanks for your advice!

Hello,
I am new to shaving with a straight. I have received my straight razor ( a Peter J. Michaels Merit) and have a kamisori on it's way. Just need a strop now.I wanted to have a cheap strop to start with as I certainly won't know how to use it properly yet. Also because I don't know if shaving with a straight is the solution for me. I have seen the poor mans kit from whippeddog. Does anyone have any experience with it? Or could someone suggest me a cheap strop which could also work? And finally, should I take a hanging strop or something else? Many thanks for your advice!
Hi Frenky
i'm in a similar position to yourself, but have ordered the poor mans from Whipped Dog. Larry is a gentleman to deal with, I also ordered a razor which was very sharp.
The strop is about 40 mm wide, it comes with some neats foot oil which took an age to get out of the sachet and seems to strop well although as I said I'm only a novice.
I've since made myself a wider strop out of some 3mm thick cowhide.
Gaz

Hi Frenky
i'm in a similar position to yourself, but have ordered the poor mans from Whipped Dog. Larry is a gentleman to deal with, I also ordered a razor which was very sharp.
The strop is about 40 mm wide, it comes with some neats foot oil which took an age to get out of the sachet and seems to strop well although as I said I'm only a novice.
I've since made myself a wider strop out of some 3mm thick cowhide.
Gaz

Thank you Gaz for your help. I think that the poor man kit is the best solution, and if I nick it, I will buy the cheap strop from shaving.ie

Whipped dog's poor man's kit is a great deal - the balsa strop and pastes are very useful, for the price. One might add a vintage strop off of Ebay at some later point.

Although I don't have a Kamisori myself, I do remember I think UKRob saying on here a bench strop(wooden backed) is better for these blades, as the chance of ruining a hanging strop is greater due to the smaller blade length.

Photo (FYI) of the 2 that i have. One leather, one 'felt'.
861540c9221be671e1b8bf47e64c7bbe.jpg
eb5ca96d73b70299f9aa112c00ee3689.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Although I don't have a Kamisori myself, I do remember I think UKRob saying on here a bench strop(wooden backed) is better for these blades, as the chance of ruining a hanging strop is greater due to the smaller blade length.
A benchstrop was also a considered option, but as I wanted to take the cheapest option, to see if straight shaving was an option for me, I went with the poor man kit. But the benchstrop option will be considered if I keep shaving with a straight.

Photo (FYI) of the 2 that i have. One leather, one 'felt'.
861540c9221be671e1b8bf47e64c7bbe.jpg
eb5ca96d73b70299f9aa112c00ee3689.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice one! Where have you bought them?

The whipped dog strop arrived! Communication with Larry from whipped dog was excellent and shipping fast. The strop is for the price very nice and long and large enough for a correct stropping. Very happy about it and would recommend:)

Back
Top Bottom