Hi all,
I am about to pull the trigger on a 6/8 from The Invisible Edge.

The first I am considering is a RALF AUST 6/8 RAZOR WITH AFRICAN BLACKWOOD SCALES
The second is a DOVO MASTER'S GRENADILLE 6/8 CARBON RAZOR

The problem I am having is deciding which one to go for.

Which one would you buy & why?

The Ralf Aust is Probaly the One I Would Suggest..I have Honed Both..That Particular Dovo Model is Not as Well Made..Both Shave Well..I Just Reckon the Austs are Slightly Better Built.. :p

On Another Note..On the Same Site You Will get a Lovely Thiers Issard 6/8th for Much the Same Price..I have Honed Many of these as Well.. They are Without a Doubt By Far the Best Buy..Far Better Made & Ground than a Dovo or an Aust & Superb Shavers..(y)

Another Thing..I Can Tell Ya for a Fact..No Matter what this Seller Claims..None of these Razors Come Shave Ready or Honed as they Claim..They NEED a Full Hone Job..That Goes for Any UK Vendor that I Can think Of..I have Honed More Razors Sold from Invisible Edge for Forum Members than I Can Remember...:cool:

Billy

Last edited:
The Ralf Aust is Probaly the One I Would Suggest..I have Honed Both..That Particular Dovo Model is Not as Well Made..Both Shave Well..I Just Reckon the Austs are Slightly Better Built.. :p

On Another Note..On the Same Site You Will get a Lovely Thiers Issard 6/8th for Much the Same Price..I have Honed Many of these as Well.. They are Without a Doubt By Far the Best Buy..Far Better Made & Ground than a Dovo or an Aust & Superb Shavers..(y)

Another Thing..I Can Tell Ya for a Fact..No Matter what this Seller Claims..None of these Razors Come Shave Ready or Honed as they Claim..They NEED a Full Hone Job..That Goes for Any UK Vendor that I Can think Of..I have Honed More Razors Sold from Invisible Edge for Forum Members than I Can Remember...:cool:

Billy
Thanks Billy,

I can't say your comment regarding the invisible edge co surprised me, although I am disappointed. I thought they were a reputable source as they only sell straights and their blurb regarding shave ready policy gave me the confidence to purchase from them, even though they were not the cheapest.

I recently purchased a TI 5/8 Le Grelot Medaille D'Or from the same company and found it a little rough, however after the 2nd shave and plenty of stroping it has improved. I am a newbie to straight razors (started with a Feather Artist Club) and as such am probably quite green behind the ears when looking at straights. I spoke to The Invisble Edge and they advised that I go for the TI 5/8 Le Grelot. I also bought one of their paddle strops and some 0.3 micron diamond paste with it.

I have to say, I have thoroughly enjoyed using it, so much so, I am now ready to pull the trigger on a 6/8 but wanted something a little different. I am not in to all the 24k gold stuff as in my opinion it won't improve the shave experience. I quite liked the Aust due to it being hand made by a one man artisan who seems to have a really good reputation and at Dovo as it was one of the market leaders.

I really appreciate your advice and now know where I can send my razors to be honed. Following your advice, I will have to look again at the options around the £150 - £200 mark. Bearing in mind, I already own a TI 5/8 Le Grelot and my budget, I would greatly appreciate further input into my next purchase and which suppliers I should use.

Gary

The first straight I shaved with was a near-wedge. It feels very different to a full hollow. The solid lump of metal charges through stubble like a bulldozer. It's very quiet with none of that ripping-velcro sound.

Maybe one day I'll decide I like one style better than the other but for now I'm enjoying the chance to get to know different types of razor.

Thanks Billy,

I can't say your comment regarding the invisible edge co surprised me, although I am disappointed. I thought they were a reputable source as they only sell straights and their blurb regarding shave ready policy gave me the confidence to purchase from them, even though they were not the cheapest.

I recently purchased a TI 5/8 Le Grelot Medaille D'Or from the same company and found it a little rough, however after the 2nd shave and plenty of stroping it has improved. I am a newbie to straight razors (started with a Feather Artist Club) and as such am probably quite green behind the ears when looking at straights. I spoke to The Invisble Edge and they advised that I go for the TI 5/8 Le Grelot. I also bought one of their paddle strops and some 0.3 micron diamond paste with it.

I have to say, I have thoroughly enjoyed using it, so much so, I am now ready to pull the trigger on a 6/8 but wanted something a little different. I am not in to all the 24k gold stuff as in my opinion it won't improve the shave experience. I quite liked the Aust due to it being hand made by a one man artisan who seems to have a really good reputation and at Dovo as it was one of the market leaders.

I really appreciate your advice and now know where I can send my razors to be honed. Following your advice, I will have to look again at the options around the £150 - £200 mark. Bearing in mind, I already own a TI 5/8 Le Grelot and my budget, I would greatly appreciate further input into my next purchase and which suppliers I should use.

Gary
Well..You Can Buy a Custom Koraat from the UK that Comes Shave Ready for £200/£250 http://www.koraat-knives.at/english/
Or..I Know Billy 1 on Ebay if You Fancy a Decent Vintage Straight Razor..He Puts a Superb Edge on a Razor..:rolleyes:
I Know Andrew from Windrose on EBay as Well..He Sells Shave Ready Razors..Lovely Edges..(y)

I Am Not Aware of Any Mainstream UK Vendors that Sell Shave Ready Razors..Whatever their Claims..That TI Grelot You Bought from them Will NOT be Shave Ready Either..The Paste will Pick it Up Perhaps But..It will Need Bevel Set from the 1 K Stone & Honed through a Full Progression..Trust Me..The Problem with New Guys is that they Dont Know what a Proper Shave Ready Razor Feels Like..:cool:

I have a Couple of Vintage Shave Ready Razors as Well..Very Nice Ones..if You are Interested PM Me On the Forum Personal Message Option..Those Koraat Razors are Well Priced & the Model 14-2.0 are Very Popular if You Want a Brand New Razor..If Ya Decide to to Stick with a Dovo or an Aust I Can Hone it for You & the Grelot You have for that Matter..I Will Put a Superb Edge on Em..(y)

Billy

Last edited:
I asked Ulrik for a couple of changes to the Basic II 6/8th near wedge and he was happy to oblige.
He was true to his word and delivered the razor on time.

PA080001.JPGPA080003.JPG
No real Bells or whistles, however, this is mine, there maybe some similar to it but this one is mine!
She is a wonderful shaver sporting a really fine edge.

@Fergiebilly puts a wonderful edge on a razor.
I can also confirm Andrew @shaversdelight (Windrose) puts lovely edges on his razors, i have 2 of his again, smooth as butter.
I have also used BillyJi1 from the bay, both the razors i got from him have a nice edge on them.

Good luck with your search
T

Back
Top Bottom