Which blade

hunnymonster said:
SirPrize said:
So far as I understand all modern blades are much the same thickness and are narrower than the carbon steel blades for which the pre-sixties razors where calibrated for.

But the Gillette started to manufacture the "Thin" blade in 1938... discuss.

That's opened a can of worms.

heroblob said:
hunnymonster said:
I most certainly does - my understanding was that "Thin" blades were introduced in the early sixties along with stainless steel :oops:
Oh well - I was sick of fucking around with shims anyway....

SirPrize said:
heroblob said:
hunnymonster said:
I most certainly does - my understanding was that "Thin" blades were introduced in the early sixties along with stainless steel :oops:

Pmsl :lol: :lol:
You guys certainly know how to cheer up a very wet miserable day off.

To all that use rotate through different razors, i guess that's most of you, of different aggressive tendencies, do you always use the same blade in all the different razors, or do you favor a certain blade in a certain razor. If you favor a different blade in different razors do you find you use a sharper/ more aggressive blade in the less aggressive razors and visa versa. Then find that you can't use this sharper/ more aggressive blade in the more aggressive razors. Just really interested in this now.

heroblob said:
To all that use rotate through different razors, i guess that's most of you, of different aggressive tendencies, do you always use the same blade in all the different razors, or do you favor a certain blade in a certain razor. If you favor a different blade in different razors do you find you use a sharper/ more aggressive blade in the less aggressive razors and visa versa. Then find that you can't use this sharper/ more aggressive blade in the more aggressive razors. Just really interested in this now.

Generally speaking that would be fair to say. It also brings us nicely full circle and back to your original enquiry about blade choice instead of arsing about with shims (Sorry SP)

SirPrize said:
heroblob said:
hunnymonster said:

Did I say something wrong? :ugeek:

I think the "Super Thin" (original, not the Thai or Vietnamese ones we get now) was introduced in the 1960s (although the earliest "Super Thin" I can find on Achim's Mr Razor site is 1978... and "Thins" of the same date), when the "Thin" stopped cutting the whiskers... you know like markets gave way to supermarkets and hypermarkets...

Thanks to some people here on the forum, I'm playing around with different blades to find the ones I like.
Merkur blades give me a good no hassle shave, but I think I'm the only one here. Gillette Bleue I don't seem to get along with, although a bit better in the Rocket than in the 34C.

I received 2 packets of GIllette Super Thins today, so I'll see what they are like, I have many more to try.

You should use one blade & razor combo for a while, even though it might not be "perfect" (basic setup that works)
Once you've got your benchmark, you compare the blades (in the same razor) to your benchmark, you should aways use a few blades before giving up on one, you never know if you had a dud. Just think better or worse? Alternate new blades a couple of times with your benchmark blade if you're not sure.

Buy a starter pack from one of the vendors on the net, or otherwise if you want, I could at least PIF you a pack of Bleues, it's all I have easy access to.

FB.

Thanks frenchblade, i have a sample pack and also some others people have sent me. I fully understand sticking to one blade until i feel comfortable with it and use that as a bench mark. what i was trying to get at is to see if there was a consensus of opinion as to whether experienced users find they use a more aggressive/sharper blade in a mild razor.

It is going to depend on what your take on shaving nirvana is:

For me it is using lots of different razors with the same couple of blades, that provide a stable benchmark. If a razor then shaves me like a dog (only happened twice) - it's gone :|

Life's too short to start working my way through a pile of blades just to find the one that improves the razor :shock:

Nothing could be worse for me than to have say a dozen razors, each with a different blade to make them shaveable.

I would far rather stick to 1 razor and blade (and buy shitloads of spares :roll: ) :)

Back
Top Bottom