Which blade

I don't think experienced shavers necessarily opt for mild razor/sharp blade option, it's a good option for shavers at all levels because it reinforces the idea of beard reduction rather than elimination.

Who know's what your beard and technique are like, that's why it is always suggested you initially stick with one razor and work through a blade sample pack, not to improve the performance of a razor but just to find what suits you best. At the moment you like the Personna, you might find that a Super Thin, Derby, Bleue, Crystal, Iridium or Feather perform even better for you.

antdad said:
...that's why it is always suggested you initially stick with one razor and work through a blade sample pack, not to improve the performance of a razor but just to find what suits you best.

+1

I started paying more attention to blade brands when I got my head round the fact that razors -- for all their shiny loveliness -- are essentially blade holders. Naturally, different razor designs will impact on blade performance to varying degrees, but finding a blade/s you get on with (and that gets on with you) is key. You can only really do that by experimenting.

OK, Just shaved with the Super speed with the personna from yesterday, it's second outing.
I have to say i was surprised at how it went. The SS gave more feed back that the merkur. It did nothing if the angle was wrong, then as angle was altered it suddenly began to cut stubble with a nice rasping sound. This i think will be easier to learn correct angle than the merkur.
One thing i have noticed with this wet shaving is that, when i am touching up and i move soap around with the fingers of my free hand, i can feel areas of roughness which disappear when i wash my face and apply aftershave products proraso and moiturisers. I wounder if this is due to the hot face causing the stubble to push out through the skin and then when you cool the face and apply alum proraso and moituriser that these retract back and so feel smooth.
Now when i am shaving i am attempting to clear all these rough areas, and in doing so get small areas of irritation due to too many passes. I tend to give in after a couple of attempts at clearing it all to stop this irritation and low and behold after finishing up i find i have a BBS shave. These areas certainly come through first so aren't as close as others but still close.
When you guys are shaving what are you attempting to achieve. Do you only do 2 or 3 passes and what ever is left is left or do you try and clear all rough areas you find through the soap. An do you just keep going until it is all gone.

heroblob said:
When you guys are shaving what are you attempting to achieve. Do you only do 2 or 3 passes and what ever is left is left or do you try and clear all rough areas you find through the soap. An do you just keep going until it is all gone.

I do a bit of both, depending on mood, time available etc etc.... but some of my most satisfying shaves have been simple two pass ones, far from BBS but they felt soooo good :D

Back
Top Bottom