Which Blade first!

I have just taken delivery of my blade sampler pack from Connaught, now the dilemma is...which blade first.....?!

Choice of:

Feathers
Red personna
Crystal
Iridium
Gilette 7 oclock
Astra

Any recommendations?!!

Choices, choices.....

I to had that dilemma but I guess its doesn't matter as what's good for someone else may not be good for you!

FWIW I went for the 7 o'clock, but without any specific reason. Here is one man's blade reviews which might help you decide.

you've a pretty good sampler there so it doesn't really matter which one you start with, just do as HM says and stick to the one brand, don't go chopping and changing.

at the risk of the QI klaxon i'll be the first to say leave the Feathers until you've got your technique sorted :?

There are a few factors to take into consideration with said question.

Day of the week; AM
Mon-Wed; I would go with either the Iridium or Yellow 7’s.
Thu-Sat; I would go with the Crystal or personna.

Day of the week; PM
Mon-Wed; I would go with the Feather or Astra.
Thu-Sat; I would go with the Iridium or Personna.

That rotation is ok if you live on higher ground with good drainage, if you don’t then try this.

Mon-Wed; Iridium’s.
Thu-Sat; Yellow 7’s.

Use the left over blades as spares, BUT.

If you live within sight of water, fresh or salt you may want to stick to the Feathers. Both AM or PM.

That being said, if you have traced your family history back far enough and found descendants that worked in either the wool or cloth industries, you may need to look at this rotation.

Mon; Feather
Tue; Yellow 7
Wed; Astra
Thur; Personna
Fri; Iridium
Sat; Crystal

Don’t forget to take the tides and moon into account, hope this helps.

selecta said:
I have just taken delivery of my blade sampler pack from Connaught, now the dilemma is...which blade first.....?!

Choice of:

Feathers
Red personna
Crystal
Iridium
Gilette 7 oclock
Astra

Any recommendations?!!

Feathers to the bottom and stick to that order.

Fido said:
selecta said:

Choice of:

Feathers
Red personna
Crystal
Iridium
Gilette 7 oclock
Astra

Any recommendations?!!

Feathers to the bottom and stick to that order.

Being serious, id go with Fido’s recommendation. Maybe putting the Iridium between the Feather and Yellow 7.

Don’t forget to give each type of blade a fair chance, that order is running pretty much sharp to sharpest.

Given that choice I'd go
Red personna
Crystal
Gilette 7 oclock
Astra
Iridium
Feather

If one of the blades upsets you, have a rest before trying a different one.

Pete

Red Personna first, then Iridium. The idea being that the reds won't spring any nasty surprises on you, whilst the Iridiums will provide a big contrast without being vicious. That's my tuppence worth, but they're your blades. Have fun.

Ok ! So i went for a red personna and straight away noticed an improvement over the Derbys i have been using so far! BBS but a little sore in places when i tried my Alum Block for the first time and then used the Proraso after.

Jury is still out on the Alum as my skin felt incredibly tight afterwards and looked a bit dry half hour later!

I've just bought a DE89 and the sample pack from connaught.

Never DE shaved before so was going to ask the same question!! Most probably start with iridium as I think the name is really cool :shock:

selecta said:
Ok ! So i went for a red personna and straight away noticed an improvement over the Derbys i have been using so far! BBS but a little sore in places when i tried my Alum Block for the first time and then used the Proraso after.

Jury is still out on the Alum as my skin felt incredibly tight afterwards and looked a bit dry half hour later!

Catching isn’t it fella, the personas are a safe bet for most people. Sharp enough, consistent enough and cheap enough.

Give each different brand of blade at least a week each before rotating; you’ve got some goodn’s too look forward to there.

sjedwardz said:
I've just bought a DE89 and the sample pack from connaught.

Never DE shaved before so was going to ask the same question!! Most probably start with iridium as I think the name is really cool :shock:

You’re going to love that razor... :shave

Back
Top Bottom