Where to start

Well the excitement mounts, Just received my blade sample pack from Paul. Still waiting for the 38r, hopefully be here this morning.
The question is, is there any specific order to try the blades taking into account this will be my first attempt. I'm not sure whether its a good thing or not but i have also got 4 days growth to play with.
Blades i have are:

wilkinson sword
tiger superior stainless
Astra superior stainless
Astra superior platinum
Super iridium
7 o'clock super platinum
7 o'clock sharpedge
7 o'clock Permasharp
Personna reds.

Choices, choices.

I'd vote for the Personna reds.

When I got a blade sampler pack from West Coast Shaving to start me off I tried the ones with the best looking packaging first.

How spooky is that, i post about delivery and a couple of minutes later there is the knock on the door i had been waiting for.
What can i say, a work of art. And pleasant surprise of a free face flannel and 15 derby blades.
Time has arrived to have my first go. i will take the advice given and go with a red posonna.
Wish me luck.

If you've built up a bank of stubble in expectation of the great day you' ll be tempted to press harder. It's not necessary, go light as you can despite what's left behind it'll be gone by the second or third pass. Oh and good luck.

1st one down. No longer a DE virgin.
Hot towel
Eton college NF2201 in a cappuccino mug
Merkur 38R red pasonna
block osma
L oreal 24hr hydrating balm.
Took my time, nearly 30mins. 3 passes.
No nicks or weeps, no stinging with the block osma, and probably one of the closest shaves i have had.
Need some time working on making lather in the mug. The fragrance is very nice indeed.A couple of areas aren't quite as close as others, but still very acceptable. Didn't want to push my luck on the first go. The 38R is very nice to use very heavy, feels nice and solid in your hand. The shave was exceptionally smooth as well.
What was nice about the 4 days growth was that i was able to see exactly the direction of the growth.

Already looking forward to the next shave, and i have to say i have never said that before. Shaving has always been a bit of a chore.

Do you guys do anything special to your razor and brush before putting them way in order to keep them in tip top condition.
I rinsed the NF 2201 out and then shook it dry and placed it in a brush stand bristles down, i also rinsed the razor and then gently rubbed the white soap residue off with a soft cloth. due you normally strip the razor and clean any more thoroughly.
Just want to keep everything as good as new.

couldn't help myself. After finally finding a thread i like Fido's way, so i just tripped it and polished the razor and wiped the blade dry and then re built it all and put it away for next time. looks like new.

Once you are in2 double figures with the razor rotation, I give the one I last used a light coat of beeswax & polish with a yellow duster before putting it away till its next turn.

JohnnyO. :D

Back
Top Bottom