Where to go from a Gilette Tech

Hi guys, I currently have a Gilette Tech i've been using for a while. I bought it from French_Blade and it's been great.

However, I feel it doesn't quite give a close enough shave and the relatively stubby and short handle can be uncomfortable (years of playing hockey means my hands often cramp up when using these short handles!).

Could you advise me on a new DE razor (in the UK), with a slightly longer handle and something that might give me a closer shave? I would spend up to £50 incl P&P.

Cheers guys :)

Are you looking for something vintage or modern?

If modern, some might say an Edwin Jagger, DE89 or 87. The handle is that bit longer (I'd call it a medium handle) and it's got more weight which means a slightly closer shave, still not hugely aggressive though. If you want to try one I have a mint DE87 which hardly ever gets used. You can try it for nothing, it will just cost you postage back to me when you're finished.

Personally I'd say go to a Merkur head... I used to have a 23C and they are a bargain at 20 odd quid. The handle was that bit too long for me (I like shorter ones like 34C and 37C) but the head is superb, nice bit of bite to it which the Tech lacks altogether.

I don't really mind whether it's vintage or modern, I like both :)

So, looking at the DE87 and 23c, they both seem to have that longer handle :) Both are quite a bit cheaper than I imagined, so that is good! If it were up to you, which would you choose?

http://www.executive-shaving.co.uk/shaving/safety-razors/safety-shaving-razor-23.php

or

http://www.theenglishshavingcompany.com/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/DE87811bl||DE87~@c~@b~@r~All|0|user|1,0,0,1|2|

Well for me it would have to be a Merkur but then I'm a Merkur fan. You can get it even cheaper (over £3 less) at Shaving Shack and it's in stock:

http://www.shaving-shack.com/merkur-23c-long-handled-classic.html

The Merkur will shave off a bit more than the Jagger IMO, it does feel just slightly the more aggressive of the two.

Be aware that the 23C handle is longer than the Jagger by about another 2cm, it's one of the longest out there. Some don't like that length, you may well love it.

Heh, I should like the longer handle :) Well, i'm sold, got one in the cart now :D

EDIT: Added the Merkur leather carry case. Was looking for something like this all along!

You could always have went for new Weber all stainless razor with the funny black head

Slide-2-872x350.jpg

:huh::s

pedro083 said:
You could always have went for new Weber all stainless razor with the funny black head

Slide-2-872x350.jpg

Damn - I wish you hadn't posted that! I've just gone and bought one.

Taking it for the team and all that.... :angel:

MandoBear said:
pedro083 said:

Slide-2-872x350.jpg

Good man I was nearly doing the same thing, Hence the pic to hopefully get someone else to do it.:icon_twisted::icon_twisted:

Now if either of you have one of the old OC Weber's that you're replacing with the new I'd be interested!
Johnus.

Now for alex98uk. My choice for you would be one of the Gillette OC '04's I personally like the early ones to about 1918 but the no date code 1921-28's are nice too. I'd say go back to the razor that started it all. You'll be amazed at the shaves they give.

pedro083 said:
MandoBear said:
pedro083 said:

Good man I was nearly doing the same thing, Hence the pic to hopefully get someone else to do it.:icon_twisted::icon_twisted:

You scamp! :)

Shipped today - so hopefully I'll get it in a week to ten days time.

Hey guys, me again. The Merkur 23c arrived, I really like it so far. The long handle is a relief and it certainly feels like a closer cut. Certainly worth the money, thought you might like some pics :) (the brush is still a bit damp hence why it doesn't look great!)

eb012291.jpg

94395a67.jpg

2aa2921b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom