Where can I get decent SE blades for Valet Autostrop?!

Hi Folks...firstly, this is my very first post on here! In addition to being a forum noobie, I'm also new to SE razors too, having always used DE and cartridge style up to now. But I'm enjoying my new-found early midlife crisis, and can see myself starting a modest razor collection. Crikey, It'll be cut-throats next!

Anyhow, enough of the intro...I have recently found a nice Valet Autostrop, with nickel plated tin and strop, which has cleaned up really nicely. I do need to work out how to get the strop supple and ready for action, but first thing's first...what blades can I use with the Valet (there's a slightly rusty one with it which has the "Valet" cutout)? Are there any cost-effective modern blades which will fit this? If so, who the heck sells them?!

Search the forum under "spinning". There is a lot about blades and adding thhe spine from onre blade to anotgher so it fits an Autostrop.

It's was new verb invented right here in TSR. Adding a spine became the act of "spinning", which I had thought more appropriate at The Oval till then.

With luck, a knowledgable SE shaver will be along shortly. 'Tis a strange mob you are joining - very strange, indeed! Weird, even.

Thanks! By the sound of it I'll fit right in! Think I already have AS if my other hobbies are anything to go by...my Missis will be so happy! Haha!!!

Greetings

Feather SE Blades will fit 99% of all models of Valet Autostrop razors.
The only source for these in the UK is Connaughts. They are not cheap blades and are very short lived ie two shaves only.

Some models of Valet Autostrops but not many can be used with an ordinary GEM SE blade with the spine removed and a couple of tiny pieces snipped off the blade corners.
These blades in the UK again can only be purchased from Connaughts.

If you post a picture of the razor showing the the top of the razor I will be able to tell you.

Regards
Dick.

Dick, when you post again it might be worthwhile explaining which razors need a spine adding and which dion't. I think I'm right in saying that the Valet does not need a spine added to a feather SE blade whereas the Gem has to have the spine removed as well as the coners nibbled off. Your definitive thread showing how this is done would be useful.

Hi Dick...thanks for the excellent summary and Connaughts (turns out they're based just up the road from me!) tip off. Exactly what I need to know in layman's terms. I've taken a couple of bad photos of my Valet. There are some patent numbers etc on it too, and it says made in England on the blade holder flap. Any help/pointers are gratefully received.
[attachment=8866]
[attachment=8867]

Attachments

• IMAG1201.jpg
    IMAG1201.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMAG1202.jpg
    IMAG1202.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 32
Jennings said:
Hi Dick...thanks for the excellent summary and Connaughts (turns out they're based just up the road from me!) tip off. Exactly what I need to know in layman's terms. I've taken a couple of bad photos of my Valet. There are some patent numbers etc on it too, and it says made in England on the blade holder flap. Any help/pointers are gratefully received.

Greetings

That model is one that will only take feather SE Blades, (or original Valet Autostrop Blades) which IMHO are not worth tuppence! It will not take modified GEM blades.

I have noted what Rob said and it makes good sense, I am off to Fuerteventura for a couple of weeks early Wednesday but when I get back I will post photo's etc of Valet razors and how to ID those that will take modified GEM blades and those that will not.

Regards
Dick.

Thanks for clarifying which blade will and won't fit in my model of Valet. Be great to get a little more ID info on the various iterations, and how to recognise them, especially as I can see myself collecting a few of these razors over time!

Given that I plan to amuse myself with a few other SE razors, I took the plunge and ordered a handful each of GEM and Feather SE blades. This morning I opened a Feather and fitted it to the Valet as I thought I'd give it a shave test!

First thing I noticed was that it took me a few attempts to position the blade at exactly the right angle in the razor! Probably as it was the first time I'd handled one.

Second thing I noticed was that the blade probably wasn't as keen as some of my DE experiences, which I guess is what Dick (and others) mean when they say they're not the best shave? I found it dragged a little bit...although to be honest it could be me really, as I've not used one before!

Third thing I noticed was a big positive. Due to the shape and angle of the Valet's head (especially that it's straight and flat down to the blade edge) I found that I could really see precisely where I was placing the exact blade's edge. This means I could put exact straight edges and angles on sideburn ends etc. Something I value a lot in a razor, and something I find a lot of DE razors, with their humped heads, make very difficult to gauge as they hide the blade's edge from my view.

The only thing I find strange is your statement that the Feather was tuggy - they are the sharpest blades around although they are only good for 2 or 3 shaves. Maybe your angle is off a bit at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom