When to try the Feather Pro blades

For me it's more a question of trying to see if it makes a difference. If it does and I manage it without injury, then great, if not then I'll stay with the pro guards. The only question it if it gives me a better shave but with damage, then I'll have to decide which way I want to go.

OK so time for an update I think after Barlines very kindly sent me a Dorco and A Feather Pro to try. Having been away this week it was perfect time to have a nice leisurely shave today, but I couldn't't decide which blade to use. Initially I thought I'd try the Feather as that's what I have been using up until today, but I was also aware that the Feather have a reputation for being very sharp and unforgiving. As this shave was all about trying without the safety net of the Pro Guards I opted for the Dorco.

So I choose my usual setup of shower, soak, Proraso pre shave and Proraso soap and started the shave. I was more aware of the blade when I started but after a couple of strokes I relaxed a bit and finished the first WTG. A quick rinse, re-lather and another WTG and then a proper rinse off followed by a cold water sploosh and then some witch hazel finished off with balm.

A check on how good it was revealed a DFS overall with BBS in 80% of places. I'm extremely impressed with the closeness of the shave and also the ease of use, which was better than I was expecting. It seems the pro-guards obviously protect you while you are learning, but do stop you getting as close as the non-guarded blades.

I shall be interested to see if there's much of a difference between the Dorco and the Feather and will try the Feather after 10 or so shaves with the Dorco, as I usually manage 15-20 shaves with the pro-guards.

Another week or so has passed and I've been using the Dorco blade and got to shave number 9 when on the last stroke of my second pass I felt the familiar sting just to the side of my mouth. Once I cleaned up and managed to stop the bleeding I discovered that it was a lot deeper than I realised and even now after 6 days it still hasn't healed up. Since doing it I have switched back to my Futur, but will go back to the Feather tomorrow for work. Just got to decide whether to keep the Dorco blade in or swap it for another Pro-guard until I'm less careless?

Ouch!

I had a few deep ones along the way but I think self preservation must have taken over at some point as they are few and far between now. Was it just a momentary lapse?

barlines said:
Ouch!

I had a few deep ones along the way but I think self preservation must have taken over at some point as they are few and far between now. Was it just a momentary lapse?

Yes, think it was just one of those things, literally last stroke before rinsing. Must not let my attention wander! I have to say I was also trying a slightly different angle to get a closer shave as I felt that it was not good enough and no where near a BBS, which is the ultimate aim. Think I need to rein my ambition in for some time yet and stick to WTG for longer.

Back
Top Bottom