When to try the Feather Pro blades

I've been using my Feather AC SS almost exclusively since receiving it from The Geordie Shaver and have only used the Pro-Guards that he kindly sent with the razor. I've now got to the stage where I can do 2 x WTG without any nicks and get a very good shave from it.
I still have a long way to go before I'm as easy and relaxed about using the Feather as my DE, but I'm curious to see if a) I can use one without cutting myself to bits and b) if there is any difference in the quality of shave.
What do you guys think, is it too early yet?

Wanderlust167 said:
I've been using my Feather AC SS almost exclusively since receiving it from The Geordie Shaver and have only used the Pro-Guards that he kindly sent with the razor. I've now got to the stage where I can do 2 x WTG without any nicks and get a very good shave from it.
I still have a long way to go before I'm as easy and relaxed about using the Feather as my DE, but I'm curious to see if a) I can use one without cutting myself to bits and b) if there is any difference in the quality of shave.
What do you guys think, is it too early yet?

It sounds like an excellent time to give it a go and raise the bar again so to speak. Do you have any? I'll pop one in the post for you to try if you want to drop me an address.

Thanks very much Barlines that would be perfect. I was thinking of getting some from Connaughts but couldn't decide whether to get those rather than the Pro-Guards, or even a mixture of both.

I'll let you know how I get on and PM you my address.

Yes, you've obviously got quite a lot of use so go for it. The two blades are in fact exactly the same size as opposed to the mild which is narrower and the Pro Super which is wider - giving less and more blade exposure respectively.

So, the difference betwen pro Guard and Pro is not perhaps so much as you imagine.

Wanderlust167 said:
Thanks very much Barlines that would be perfect. I was thinking of getting some from Connaughts but couldn't decide whether to get those rather than the Pro-Guards, or even a mixture of both.

I'll let you know how I get on and PM you my address.

No problem, I'll pop a Dorco in for you to try as well. Markj113 sells them on here and there isn't a lot in it between the two, maybe the feathers are a little keener to start and you get an extra shave or two...or maybe its just my imagination :blush:

TVM had forgotten that the Dorco fitted the Feather too and appreciate you adding it to the mailing. As a matter of interest, which one do you prefer?

UKRob said:
Yes, you've obviously got quite a lot of use so go for it. The two blades are in fact exactly the same size as opposed to the mild which is narrower and the Pro Super which is wider - giving less and more blade exposure respectively.

So, the difference betwen pro Guard and Pro is not perhaps so much as you imagine.

I had seen the blade difference on here a while ago and thought that apart from the stabilisers the Pro guards and Pros were the same. It's good to know that I should be fine trying them out now though.

Judging by other comments I shall avoid both the mild and the super pro, don't think they're for me.

JohnnyO said:
For what it's worth I found the Proguards more likely to lead to slight razor burn when I tried them in my Cobra than the Pros, which is my usual blade.

That's partially what prompted my question as I wanted to know when it would be safe enough to try the Pros. I have given myself some razor rash since using them but put it down to user error. May have used too much pressure although I'm more wary of this than my DE.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Wanderlust167 said:
TVM had forgotten that the Dorco fitted the Feather too and appreciate you adding it to the mailing. As a matter of interest, which one do you prefer?

UKRob said:

I had seen the blade difference on here a while ago and thought that apart from the stabilisers the Pro guards and Pros were the same. It's good to know that I should be fine trying them out now though.

Judging by other comments I shall avoid both the mild and the super pro, don't think they're for me.

In the post first thing this morning - Feather v Dorco isnt much in it, maybe the feathers are a tad smoother and get another shave or two out of it, but the big difference was the price. Mark seems to be able to get the feathers now for pennies more than the Dorco so that isn't as much of a consideration. See what you think of them both anyway.

I keep looking at the super pros and wondering....but I think I should leave it at wondering judging from a few of the stories on here :s

shanky887614 said:
Ive been using the pro blades since i got my feather clone.

If you have used a straight razor before go straight to the pro's

I haven't used a straight before, hence using the Pro-Guards first. One of the reasons for getting the Feather was because I fancied a straight but knew that I'd just cock up the blade trying to strop or home it!

Re: RE: When to try the Feather Pro blades

Wanderlust167 said:
shanky887614 said:
Ive been using the pro blades since i got my feather clone.

If you have used a straight razor before go straight to the pro's

I haven't used a straight before, hence using the Pro-Guards first. One of the reasons for getting the Feather was because I fancied a straight but knew that I'd just cock up the blade trying to strop or home it!

People seem to have problems with the pro guards. As soon as you hit near dfs with no cuts make the change.

The weight difference is one of the biggest difficulties to de users

I've tried some of the "sharper ones" but find the Proguards the easiest to shave with.
If I can get a BBS shave with the Proguards in 3 passes, why change?

Back
Top Bottom