What's the Big Diff?

I can only remember ever using TTO type DERs. I have acquired *cough*some*cough* kit recently, including a very nice looking Gillette, 1940s 3 piece Tech with slim handle (at least I think that that's what it is, according to stuff I've checked out on the site/wiki etc).

So, ... is there anything important for me to bear in mind, about using a 3 piece instead of a butterfly, when I begin trying it out for real?

Cheers,
UH

Urban Hermit said:
I can only remember ever using TTO type DERs. I have acquired *cough*some*cough* kit recently, including a very nice looking Gillette, 1940s 3 piece Tech with slim handle (at least I think that that's what it is, according to stuff I've checked out on the site/wiki etc).

So, ... is there anything important for me to bear in mind, about using a 3 piece instead of a butterfly, when I begin trying it out for real?

Cheers,
UH

Congrats on the new kit !!

Post some pictures !!!!

The only pics I have at the moment, are not of the 1940's Tech. I bought a group of 3 old razors really cheaply off eBay.co.uk so that I could get some experience cleaning them up. That way I could see if it's something I wanted to do more of, and if the stuff the cleaning gets done with would be alright for me to use, as many solvent/polish/etc exacerbate my amazing headaches.

Anyway, as the one shown below is missing a tooth at the very end of one side, I haven't thought too much about trying it out as a shaver (and apologies about the pics, this is the first time I've ever shot any photos to post online). It did however, give me a chance to try and find out more about the identity of this razor. From info on the site and wiki etc., it might be:

• Gillette 1905(?) DE Safety Razor
    • - 3 Piece, Double ring
      - S/No.(?): N 9 6 2 0 1
      - "Pat Nov 15 1904" fairly faint on base of handle
      - Broken tooth at very end of one side of the open comb
      - Made in USA & Gillette 'diamond'-shaped logo/Trade Mark[/list:u][/list:u]

3PieceDERGillette1905-001wf.png
      3PieceDERGillette1905-002wf.png
      3PieceDERGillette1905-003wf.png
      3PieceDERGillette1905-005wf.png
      3PieceDERGillette1905-006wf.png
      3PieceDERGillette1905-008wf.png
      3PieceDERGillette1905-009wf.png
      3PieceDERGillette1905-010wf.png
      3PieceDERGillette1905-011wf.png

I might get some pics of the other 'stuff' I have accumulated in the next week or so. Some of it is a bit rubbish, some of it looks pretty good to my newbie-vision. Ah, well, ... we'll see what happens I guess.

Back
Top Bottom