What's the best / cheapest way to buy from European shops?

Hello all,

I would like to know, what for you is the easiest and cheapest way to pay, when you buy stuff from another country.
Do you use Paypal, or is it also easy to transfer right away from bank account to bank account (Within "Europe" there are now no extra costs)
Are you able to pay in euros easily or is that very costly with your bank or do you even have to have a separate Euro-account?
Would you prefer a webshop to calculate and give the invoice in GBP?
Are credit cards the easiest way for you?
Many thanks in advance, I plan to take notice and change things when needed.

Stay Alive,

Eric

Eric

The simple answer is "it depends"

Paypal's currency conversions are about 5% off the interbank rate, so not good, but obviously straightforward.

Credit/debit cards it depends on the issuer - I have 3 different ones here and they have 3 very different charging regimes:

1. Charges 2.75% of the transaction value, uses standard Visa exchange rate (typically Interbank+1%) - so EUR1.00 costs about EUR1.038
2. Charges standard Visa exchange rate only (at least in Visa's Europe region) - so EUR1.00 costs EUR1.01
3. Charges £1.25 + standard Visa exchange rate (this one is eyewatering)

You can guess which I prefer to use, I think :D

Allright, Thanks,

But the other possibility, by transfering euros right from your own bankaccount?
Would that be very expensive?

( I have now added the possibility to change the currency of our site into GBP; that way you could have a better idea of what it would cost. As I tested it, it was converted to Euros before the Paypal payment would start, but that could also be because my own Paypal account is in euros. That could be different for you guys)

Maybe someone could test it for us right to the point where your order would be paid through Paypal?

I haven't got the possibility in our shop to pay by creditcard, because they charge you too much, but that's also with Paypal, yet that one is easier and indeed more straightforward.

Bye,

Eric

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.tuttoitaliaonline.nl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.tuttoitaliaonline.nl</a><!-- m -->

Back
Top Bottom