Whats going wrong?

I have been using a straight for about a week. It arrived 'shave ready' and I strop before shaving but each shave is worse than the last as I feel the razor is tugging and skipping more each time.

Am I expecting too much in terms of sharpness? I know it will never match a DE blade in this respect but the only way to get a resonable shave is to go over the same bit again and again. I have followed stropping videos on YouTube and advice on forums so I think I am stropping ok.

Any suggestions/advice would be welcome.

Kev

pedro083 said:
How much pressure are you applying. have you lifted the spine at all when stropping.

I am using light pressure and I make sure as far as possible to keep the blade flat on the strop. I also pull the strop tight so there is no sag in it.

It should sag a little when you strop, but be tight when in resting position - not to tight though.

Have you watched shams stropping vid? It´s the best I think (search on sham on youtube, if you don´t find it PM me).

It´s true the blade should be flat, but rather think that back/spine should lead the way all the time (the edge will follow) - it´s all in the head :geek:.

Hold the razor like you would with a wounded bird, firm but not to tight.

Yes there is a definite 'feel' to stropping. It's hard to describe but it just feels right. Sorry that's hopeless. OK, I hold the strop quite taut but allow it to give a little as I strop the blade. Almost all the pressure I use is pushing the spine on to the strop. The blade edge just follows behind and brushes the strop. There is a fine line between the blade having no contact with the strop at all and being pushed on to it too hard.

BTW I'm not claiming to be an expert but the fact that my shaves are going well with no tugging etc. proves to me that I must be doing something right. Hopefully you'll find a Youtube vid that shows how to do it better than I describe!

Sounds like stropping to me. You blade will get blunter over time, but it should take MUCH more time than it has.

I've actually found that I need to do about 60 laps on my Neil Miller Bridle Leather strop for it to be 'enough'. Obviously, that varies from razor to razor, but 60 appears to be the magic number.

Ian

Arrowhead said:
How did the razor seem first time? Although it does sound like the stropping isn't working, this also sounds like a shaving angle thing, too.

First time was fine. Does the type of strop make a difference? The one I have is a cheap 'bay one.

it could be m8 as there cheap made and in a bad way the best place for a strop would be neil miller he has a site here it is for you. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.strop-shop.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.strop-shop.co.uk/</a><!-- m --> he is all so a member here and is a true gent to deal with drop him a message here or on his site.but i would put it down to the strop the ones on the bay should be avoided i learned that my self the hard way when i started out

Parwin said:
Arrowhead said:
How did the razor seem first time? Although it does sound like the stropping isn't working, this also sounds like a shaving angle thing, too.

First time was fine. Does the type of strop make a difference? The one I have is a cheap 'bay one.

Yes it can make a difference. You need good leather to strop on, it´s better to have a plain piece and strop on the table, than one with fancy gold, ding and dang hanging strop, with poor leather quality. Low cost doesn´t mean bad, but Ebay strops can be iffy. One of of Neil Millers basic strops doesn´t cost much more, but you know you get a proper strop.

Back
Top Bottom