What's a good first SE razor?

Been DE shaving for about a year now and enjoying it. Built up quite a collection and sold probably the same again. Thinking of trying a single edge razor. From reading it seems some find they give a better shave than a DE. I was wondering where is a good place to start? I like the look of the schick injector razors and they are inexpensive. Ever ready 1912s seem to get a lot of mentions too.
Any advice welcome.
Paul.

I've recently bought a 2nd 1912 as part of a lot, your quite welcome to try it. It looks a bit tatty but should shave ok. I'll even stick you a few blades in. Just Pm your address - no rush to get it back.

I have a GEM 1912, Schick Type L, PAL Injecto-matic and 2nr Mongoose.

They all give extremely close shaves, there's no question about that. The SE blades are more rigid than DE blades and that defines the characteristics of an SE shave - control is a lot tighter and you don't feel any 'give' whatsoever.

The GEM, Schick and PAL can be whizzed around the face (light / no pressure) making it seem deceptively easy yet they are extremely efficient. A two pass is the equivalent of a good three pass DE shave I would say in my experience.

The Mongoose on the other hand, and certainly with a Feather Super Pro blade, needs the utmost care and respect otherwise it will bite. It arguably gives the closest shave but I find that you really have to concentrate. Although, there are other more forgiving blades out there but I haven't used them yet - on my to-do list though.

I would say it is certainly worth trying an SE to experience their unique characteristics but, in terms of whether they are better than DE, I would call it 'different' rather than better as there are such incredible DE's out there - I am thinking Feather AS-D2, Ikon Deluxe OC, any number of ATTs.

As always YMMV...

1912 ... all comparisons revolve around the 1912, best start out with it.

Injectors, ejectors and Feather-type razors are a different experience again, given the different type of blade. Feather-type use thin blade, more akin to a DE shave, injector blades are thicker but quite different to GEM type blades. Ejectors are more akin to GEM type blades but tend to be in folding straights, due to the length of blade.

The 1912 I was given is fantastic. Only had it a week or so and love it,gives me a total different feel to a DE shave. Nice offer from alancrab too, give it a go.

Ian T was telling me at lunchtime today the Mongoose will be available to buy in the UK from next month.... Resistance will be futile!

UKRob said:
Did he say where from?

I asked if he would be stocking them, he was thinking about stocking a few possibly, so that's another dent in the bank account if he does. Hope SWMBO understands! But my guess is they will be available to other retailers as well. Maybe Ian T can give us more information.... Ian, you reading this?

Occams Razor said:
UKRob said:
Did he say where from?

I asked if he would be stocking them, he was thinking about stocking a few possibly, so that's another dent in the bank account if he does. Hope SWMBO understands! But my guess is they will be available to other retailers as well. Maybe Ian T can give us more information.... Ian, you reading this?
As far as I know, I think Mongoose have still to make a decision on UK stockists.

Guys as ever thanks for all the useful advice. I went through a lot of DE razors before I found the one for me (Ikon deluxe oc) I'm hoping to take Alan up on his offer to try before I buy this time. Maybe a Mongoose later then, they do look fantastic!
Paul.

Ian T said:
Occams Razor said:
UKRob said:
Did he say where from?

As far as I know, I think Mongoose have still to make a decision on UK stockists.
Thanks Ian for the update. If you stock them my divorce papers may well be served on me. :s

Quick update Alan very kindly sent me a 1912 and some blades. Gave it a go on Saturday for the first time. Placed the blade in carefully was very different to any DE. Took a bit to get a good angle. It's strange coming from a DE as there is no real blade gap. I managed reasonably close shave with a little irritation under neck. Very different technique which requires more practice.
Initial thoughts are I'll give it another go or two with this blade and then possibly pif it on. Might find the next shave much better though.
Is there much difference in blades? I think Alan included GEM blades. Are SE blades easy to get?

Paul.

Back
Top Bottom