What Watch Are You Wearing Today?

4O6HmTd.jpg

My Lorus Lumibrite field watch with a Crown & Buckle Army Perlon strap.

I have had this watch almost six weeks and just yesterday I reset the time to exact Atomic Time as it had gained in that entire period approx. ½ second. Yes, ½ measly second!! Unbelievable!! That is HAQ watch territory. I have never owned a watch this accurate before. Simply stunned!! :oops:

Looks the same as the timex expedition watch that I have. Only have to set the time when I change the battery. Great watch.
Ps love the strap. (y)

Speaking of fancy schmancy automatics...

Today I went to a jeweler/watch repair shop for what I thought was a simple repair: change a quartz mvmt. in a Lorus watch. I even had the new mvmt. in hand and had called ahead two days before to inquire if the repairman did such things & was assured so. The counter lady was a peach, but the repairman treated me basically as a serf. He told me that he didn't work on quartz watches and regardless his rate was $125 per hr.

Well, lah dee freakin' dah! I was impressed!! I told him that I hadn't owned a winding watch since I was a kid and left.

I am sorry, but evidently this dandy has all the money he needs and like a high dollar call girl cannot be troubled with the needs of the "unwashed masses". This is why I hate getting a watch fixed as there are no general repairmen anymore. I understand that quartz did to the automatics what the automobile did to the horse, so few if any repairs are needed. That said, I am buying a cheap toolkit and will do it myself. I wil never submit myself to that BS ever again......nor ever own another automatic watch. Rant over.

Today I went to a jeweler/watch repair shop for what I thought was a simple repair: change a quartz mvmt. in a Lorus watch. I even had the new mvmt. in hand and had called ahead two days before to inquire if the repairman did such things & was assured so. The counter lady was a peach, but the repairman treated me basically as a serf. He told me that he didn't work on quartz watches and regardless his rate was $125 per hr.

Well, lah dee freakin' dah! I was impressed!! I told him that I hadn't owned a winding watch since I was a kid and left.

I am sorry, but evidently this dandy has all the money he needs and like a high dollar call girl cannot be troubled with the needs of the "unwashed masses". This is why I hate getting a watch fixed as there are no general repairmen anymore. I understand that quartz did to the automatics what the automobile did to the horse, so few if any repairs are needed. That said, I am buying a cheap toolkit and will do it myself. I wil never submit myself to that BS ever again......nor ever own another automatic watch. Rant over.

The guy's an arse, probably started years ago changing batterys in quartz watches and has now forgot where he came from. Fuck him. (y)

You're brave, tackling even a simple quartz, I wouldn't! Why not just take it somewhere else?

You're brave, tackling even a simple quartz, I wouldn't! Why not just take it somewhere else?

A lot of quartz movements are held in by back plate. The winder is usually held in by a clip if you can find out where to press a fine flat head screwdriver the winder will come out and movement change is fairly easy.
Admittedly I have only done this with a £20 watch because I wanted to change the white face to a dark one.

A lot of quartz movements are held in by back plate. The winder is usually held in by a clip if you can find out where to press a fine flat head screwdriver the winder will come out and movement change is fairly easy.
Admittedly I have only done this with a £20 watch because I wanted to change the white face to a dark one.
Don't you need special tools for removing the hands? And as for getting the second hand to hit the marks...

Back
Top Bottom