What Type Of Oil For Blades

Hello.

I've just had a quick search but couldn't spot anything so...

I'm unlikely to be using my straight during the working week, so thought that it might be an idea to put a light coating of oil on it.

What oil would be suitable? Does it really matter?

Ian

IanM said:
Hello.

I've just had a quick search but couldn't spot anything so...

I'm unlikely to be using my straight during the working week, so thought that it might be an idea to put a light coating of oil on it.

What oil would be suitable? Does it really matter?

Ian

Don't use vegetable or olive oil..
Good oil is the stuff for sowing machines, parafin oil in the little burettes.
(it's made for keeping metal in good shape)

Max

Mineral Oil in IPA works well for me, I got the idea here.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.straightrazorplace.com/forums/razors/58588-how-often-do-others-oil-blade-prevent-rust-3.html#post655664" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.straightrazorplace.com/forum ... post655664</a><!-- m -->

Blades said:
I was always told Patina on a str8 razor is the way to go before giving to someone.. :?:
Rust is also very desirable, make sure you rub it on a piece of concrete before hand though, makes the present so much nicer.
Oh, and etch your name in the side of the blade with a nail, preferably in CAPS.

Max

Thanks for (most of) the replies, Gents.

I think I'll go for the Wahl stuff. I may even have some, somewhere.

Ian

I use ballistol too - it is lighter than a lot of oils, has good 'creep' and spreads out nicely, and has antiseptic properties - it was even used as an emergency wound treatment in WW2. Funky smell, though!

A lot of old text books recommended oils that were prone to go off, like castor oil, olive oil, etc, but they said add a few drops of clove oil (another antiseptic agent) to prevent this.

A light mineral oil or sewing machine oil is fine. Just don't over-oil - when it gets into the pivot hole it gradually produces a black grunge which seeps out on the inside of the scales and along the tang.

Regards,
Neil

Back
Top Bottom