what makes a soap a shaving soap

Just tried making a lather from Tesco value soap (3 bars for 13p) and got a perfectly good lather to shave with!

So what is it that makes a soap a shaving one!

I couldn't believe that each bar cost less than 5p so I thought it would be fine for hand washing and well even if it wasn't, 13p isnt going to break the bank.

Thats interesting. I have used bath/hand soap on a couple of occasions for differing reasons - forgot to pack the Palmolive stick - I have managed to whip up a lather of sorts. They were never as slick & cushioning as shave soap - more thin & watery. Of course YMMV.

My mates dad uses hand soap, you know like the carex stuff with the pump on the top and my sisters other half used to use hand soap, he might still do even though I gifted him a tube of Trumpers Sandalwood cream.

Definitely one of the differences between ordinary soap for washing and shaving soap, is that a shaving soap is not as drying. I was even recently considering doing a 'complexion bar' in a similar formula to my shaving soap, as it leaves the skin feeling so good.
And if Tesco value soap is so good, it looks like the shaving soap market may be doomed. I'm almost tempted to buy a bar - or three - to test this out.

soapalchemist (Just realised when typing your name that it's soap...alchemist. I always read it as soapal chemist, d'oh!) - can any of your soaps be used as a face wash?

I'll be placing an order soon when my citrus zinger runs out. I'll defo get the alum block but not sure which shaving soap to get. Any new shaving soaps in the pipeline?

It is certainly drying in comparison to "proper" shaving soap, and I'm not saying I prefer it to palmolive or boots just that it produced and acceptable lather and worked OK

"what makes a soap a shaving soap?"

Err . . . shaving with it?

If a soap doesn't "work" for me I just use it in the shower (eg MWF, Spieck).

That's one reason I wish Mama Bear's came as loose bars rather than in a tub. Useless stuff but smells delicious.

RajK said:
soapalchemist (Just realised when typing your name that it's soap...alchemist. I always read it as soapal chemist, d'oh!) - can any of your soaps be used as a face wash?

I'll be placing an order soon when my citrus zinger runs out. I'll defo get the alum block but not sure which shaving soap to get. Any new shaving soaps in the pipeline?

Hi Raj, At the moment I have in the old recipe (hard soap) Eucalyptus and Tea Tree, and Warm Spice. In the new, and I think much improved recipe, I have Lavender and an unusually scented herbacious/ herby/ slightly medicinal one. In between is the soft Citrus Zinger which in performance I would say is half way between the Lavender/herby ones and the old harder soap. I can't now remember whether the Citrus Zinger you had was the hard or soft one. You'll know easily, as the soft one is like a firm cream....it has been described as like hummous.
I'm waiting for yet more tins (having had to return 100 which were not like the 2nd one that AJP had when they should have been), and have had to revert to the previous tins, which are very nice but suffer from some of the lids being quite loose. I will also be making the new recipe in plastic jars with lids both 100g and 200g sizes. I will definitely make some of the Sandalwoody and Eucalyptus & Tea Tree and Warm Spice over the next few weeks, other than that I'm not sure yet.

As for using the bar soaps for face soap....if you're Damian's dad, you probably could; but if you have dry skin, no. Or not until I make my 'complexion bar', which will be similar to the old recipe shaving soap, but without the clay. The clay gives it a slimy feel, which is fine when you want razor slip, but not particularly pleasant as ordinary soap.

In the meantime, you could just finish off your shave by brushing the soap over the rest of your face. :lol:

Rev-O said:
"what makes a soap a shaving soap?"

Err . . . shaving with it?

If a soap doesn't "work" for me I just use it in the shower (eg MWF, Spieck).

That's one reason I wish Mama Bear's came as loose bars rather than in a tub. Useless stuff but smells delicious.

So a chap with your ahem shaving experience is dismissing MWF, Speick and Mama Bears?

mmmmmmm...I don't think it's the soap.

Yup. They don't make the Tabac / Henk grade and life's too short to mess around with anything less than the best.

Maybe if i had softer water and stiffer brushes . . . .

Back
Top Bottom