What does Taylors Shaving Shop smell like?

Well I know what it smells like...but wanted to know what else smells similar?

This is all because one of my dads friends used to wear an aftershave but nobody knew what it was. Unfortunately he has taken that secret to the grave with him, and I have been trying to find something like it for years.

The smell of Shaving Shop by Taylors is very similar after 5 minutes so I need the help of someone with good olfactory senses. I have no idea what that note is but it is similar to what my dads friend used to wear.

It was certainly one of those 80's powerhouse type scents you could smell for about 5-10 minutes after he left the room.

He was one for having the finer things in life and worked in the city so wouldn't be surprised if it cost a pretty penny.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Hi Steve
Wouldn't say it was a powerhouse. It's clean and perhaps a little citrusy. Not something that would linger around I don't think, pleasant as it is.
Tom

It depends on the product, the shaving cream is all wood and citrus peel, mainly lemon, and a bit of lavender. Very lovely.
The aftershave is far more harsh, I'd say patchouli, lavender and lemon and in a really "in your face" way. The two aren't similar. I love the shave cream and yet I hate the aftershave and want rid.

texaspete said:
Hi Steve
Wouldn't say it was a powerhouse. It's clean and perhaps a little citrusy. Not something that would linger around I don't think, pleasant as it is.
Tom

No what I am looking for was the powerhouse, I have the Taylors Shaving Shop which reminds me of the mystery scent, but it is not the one. Its just that note after wearing shaving shop for about 5 minutes that reminds me of it.

I am sure I never will find the mystery smell, but it gives me a good reason to keep trying scents!

Canuck said:
It depends on the product, the shaving cream is all wood and citrus peel, mainly lemon, and a bit of lavender. Very lovely.
The aftershave is far more harsh, I'd say patchouli, lavender and lemon and in a really "in your face" way. The two aren't similar. I love the shave cream and yet I hate the aftershave and want rid.

I like the cologne, havent tried the shaving cream yet.

Citrus and lavender plus probably a few other subtle things. Absolutely lobe it in shaving cream, aftershave gel and deodorant firm where it has a slightly dark faintly smokey edge. The cologne was more floral and no stronger than aftershave so I was disappointed with that

So the quest continues and I bought the Czech & Speake sample pack Citrus Paradisi also smelt like the scent I'm after but as it was made in 2000 wouldnt be the one. Any ideas now we have two similar scents?

fly3k said:
So the quest continues and I bought the Czech & Speake sample pack Citrus Paradisi also smelt like the scent I'm after but as it was made in 2000 wouldnt be the one. Any ideas now we have two similar scents?

"Citrus Paradisi" is Grapefruit.

That might narrow your search down a bit.

Yes the original, once the scent has settled on the skin it smells somewhat familiar to TOBS IMO, I just got a bottle of lime no.74 thinking I should have stuck to the aramis!

joe mcclaine said:
fly3k said:

I dont think its the grapefruit note, something else I saw people talk about civet as a note online but not sure if thats in the taylors.

fly3k said:
joe mcclaine said:
fly3k said:

I dont think its the grapefruit note, something else I saw people talk about civet as a note online but not sure if thats in the taylors.

Fair dues, plenty of civet in Givenchy Gentleman.

I feel this is going to be an awfully long quest for you.

joe mcclaine said:
Fair dues, plenty of civet in Givenchy Gentleman.

I feel this is going to be an awfully long quest for you.

Yes its been about 15 years or more so far. One day I will stumble upon it!

Lots of fun trying along the way.

To help you on your noble quest, I did a little google-fu. I've no idea what the taylors smells like, but here are a list of popular aftershaves and Edts from the 80s. Theres a good chance its one of these I would say...

http://www.digi-darkroom.com/showthread.php?t=34743

http://www.basenotes.net/t/305404/which-scents-brings-you-good-80s-memories

Back
Top Bottom