What do you wash your face with?

Hi Guys,

As the title says - what do you use?

I've recently decided to finish with the fancy liquid body washes and have gone back to a bar of Soap. It is a lot of fun. The lather is a million times better and the scents are good too. You can even rub them against a Pouf and use that if you like too. One of these things: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://greenasathistle.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/pouf.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://greenasathistle.files.wordpress. ... 4/pouf.jpg</a><!-- m -->
I try using it once a week or so.

They are usually cheaper. Although, I have seen lovely, fancy soaps for £5-15 for a (big) bar.

I was thinking of applying the same kind of thinking to my face. I currently use this: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.mankind.co.uk/REN-Mayblossom-Balancing-Facial-Gel-150ml-PRODRNCP2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mankind.co.uk/REN-Mayblossom ... PRODRNCP2/</a><!-- m -->

The ingredients read like a who's who of the natural/botanical world

Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Flower Water
Glycerin (Source Coconut Oil)
Coco-Glucoside (Source Corn)
Xanthan Gum (Source Corn)
Polysorbate 20 (Source Rapeseed Oil)
Panthenol (Vitamin B5)
Crataegus Monogina (Mayblossom) Fruit Extract
Salix Nigra (Willow) Bark Extract
Phenoxyethanol (Source Aromatic Ether)
Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Seed Extract
Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate (Source Amino Acids)
Sodium Lauroyl Oat Aminoacids (Source Oat)
Lactic Acid (Source Wheat)
Lavandula Angustifolia (High Altitude Lavender) Oil
Citrus Aurantium Bergamia (Bergamot) Fruit Oil
Callitris Intratropica (Blue Cypress) Oil
Linalool
Limonene

But this isn't why I got it. I like it because it's It's incedibly light, gentle and subtley scented (very much like the aformentioned body soaps ).

I'd like to cut down on the bathroom clutter (shaving supplies is already taking up too much space!) and cut out this face wash. Is soap fine for the face? I have normal skin with slightly oily nose area. I read some stuff about Soap pH being too high (alkaline). But then surely, shaving soaps/creams are alkali too and they are fine...

For example, do you think something like this is fine on the face:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://connaughtshaving.com/mitchellssoap.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://connaughtshaving.com/mitchellssoap.html</a><!-- m --> - top one.

I don't need anything harsh as my shaving brush provides a good 'clean' almost daily. Hmmm, do I even need a bloody face wash? My old man shaves everyday for the last 40 years and has never used one (only warm water) and his skin is great.

Cheers,

Sonny

I use MWF soap for a final pre shave face wash and rinse rather than "proper" pre shave oils etc. It leaves skin soft prior to lathering. No idea if it does any good, but I enjoy the ritual.

I am so man that I confidently use a girly-like product - Avene Cold Cream ultra rich cleansing gel which contains Spring water known for its soothing properties. To compensate, I shave with a rusty blade and no lather!

Currently I alternate between Korres milk soap (quite ok) and Aramis Lab Series Face wash (this is something between a scrub and pasty tube soap).

Favorite is the La Mer 'The Cleansing Gel', I have two bottles and keep them preciously safe (it's an amazingly good but light and natural liquid soap).

Other items making it into the rotation occasionally are Bioterm's liquid soap and Clinique soap bar (regular strength).

I never wash my face with any normal soap - these make the face too dry too fast. Supermarket-type of products (mainstream soaps) are also out of the question.

Also in the den few Gilchrist & Soames, very nice soaps for face but wish I had more.

With you on the idea Sonny - When the credit crunch hit I stocked up on original source Shower gels of many flavours -2 for £1 , Cuticura daily facial scrub - used a few times a week , and MWF soap is the daily one . Like Fido i could be imagining it but if the beard is feeling particularly tough , two washes seem to quickly soften it down enogh to know im not going to have any irritation in the shave.

If i see any Clarins facial scrub on offer again i would definitely get it -little goes a long way and it worked well but it is on the pricey side.

if i only had a bar of soap - 1 full face wash and maybe two on the beard area till it felt ready to shave.

lol.

Interesting responses. Thank you very much. I will try the MWF soap that Andy and Fido recommended as it simply involves a few clicks of the mouse to order (not right now though, as I have to finish this Ren liquid face wash).

If I don't get along with the MWF (i'm sure i will), then i'm gonna go old-skool with Antdad et al. and use hot water. When I shave (almost daily), the shaving brush exfoliates and the soaps/creams do a fair bit of 'cleaning' anyway.

I'm interested to know what Henk uses!

I'm seriously becoming addicted to soaps. The scents, the retro feel, the lightness and the lather. Even a bar soap by SIMPLE (2 bars for £1) produces a gorgeous lather. There's this Ren Soap called Camomile and Rose I got in a hotel. Gorgeous stuff. Couldn't find it anywhere so I emailed them. Lady told me it's a 'hotel-only' product but sent me 2 bars out of kindness :D

I wonder if there's a forum on soaps. Ok i'm going to shut-up now...

Know what you mean about soaps - much more fun than gel - old school all the way.

For my face I use Neutrogena Visibly Clear Gentle Exfoliating Wash - use it every other day, doesn't dry my skin and keeps it soft with clear pores. Cheap too from supermarket - although in the girly isle away from the shavesticks! Tried the blokes exfoliators from shave section but they do dry my skin.

Tried a few of the moisturisers and balms from Aldi recently and they are quite good. They have a few cheap aftershaves too which don't smell too offensive - although main ingredient is alcohol (didn't taste it but could be cheap alternative to the ever increasing cider prices :lol: )

In addition to Avene I have used Charles Worthington Pre-shave face wash which has a slight warming effect. Also Anthony Sport Face wash or Boots no7. Also partial to Zirh face scrub, which is from a stash about 5 years old but its still gritty as new. L'Occitane Cade face cream, I like but have also used Cade ASB not just after a shave.

Back
Top Bottom