What do you do?

Just pondering on what people do.
The main question is after you've had your shave, rinse and clean everything down, do you guys and girls remove the blade from your safety razors during storage drying time or leave the blades in?
Just curious as the bits I've read and viewed don't really match any scientific responses for or against.
I've taken to removing said blade and have drilled in a nice magnet to hold it out of reach for placement on the next shave.

I leave the blade in the respective razor ... unless I want to use a different razor on second and subsequent (day) uses of the blade, in which case I'll move the blade across just prior to shaving. Any deeper clean that a razor needs, other than a rinse under a hot tap can wait until I've finished with the blade and the razor is empty.

I don't see any reason to remove the blade during its useful life. Even carbon steel.

... but, it's your razor, your blade and your shave. If you want to remove the blade each time and fully dry off/polish your razor, do so. Be careful with the blade so as not to cut yourself and not to damage the edges. Handle it by the end tabs.

I have recently started removing and drying blade + razor after shaving.

For years i have left the blade in the razor, without incident, but my change to using a Merkur Progress has led to "gravy stain" light corrosion on my usual Astra SP blades.

I haven't figured out yet whether its the new box of blades or the new razor responsible for this.

Thanks for the reply.
I suppose it has some aspects of how long in-between shaves, if you are a germaphobe or not.
I'm still in the early trying out soooo many new things stage. What has started as a structured clean down process may well end up as, it's clean, it's dry it will be fine.
Just enjoying new aspects to something that has always been a chore until I decided to be a bit more mature about it and experience a touch more luxury.

Reactions: ATG
I remove, clean and let both the blade and razor dry, but damn... to pjgh's point I do tend to change which razor I'm using daily so it's become a habit even when using the same razor. Daft really as I use a blade for 3 shaves then dump it anyway...I'm now questioning my life choices!

I remove, clean and let both the blade and razor dry, but damn... to pjgh's point I do tend to change which razor I'm using daily so it's become a habit even when using the same razor. Daft really as I use a blade for 3 shaves then dump it anyway...I'm now questioning my life choices!
Nothing like getting a grown man to second guess his choices. Your shave, your way with your choices. It's right if it's right for you.

I loosen the top cap or undo the TTO doors, give it a good rinse and wipe any parts of the razor that won't bring the cloth too near the blade. Blade stays in the same razor for 3 or 4 shaves (I tear a flap off the blade wrapper after each shave to keep count). Sometimes I use a straight razor in between DE shaves so I don't necessarily have 4 consecutive shaves with the same gear. When the blade comes out I go in with a toothbrush and microfibre cloth to keep the razor shiny and free of soap buildup.

I loosen the top cap or undo the TTO doors, give it a good rinse and wipe any parts of the razor that won't bring the cloth too near the blade. Blade stays in the same razor for 3 or 4 shaves (I tear a flap off the blade wrapper after each shave to keep count). Sometimes I use a straight razor in between DE shaves so I don't necessarily have 4 consecutive shaves with the same gear. When the blade comes out I go in with a toothbrush and microfibre cloth to keep the razor shiny and free of soap buildup.
I like the idea of a counter system for the times a blade is used. Might have to have a play with that. Still very much a newbie here so playing with new toys is high on the agenda rather than longevity. But I do like things clean

Not me, but I'm not that far in. There was a chap posted literally the other day (sorry I forget who), who had 250 razors and sold 244 of them, just keeping the very best, or something like that. I think a few people get past trying everything that comes along, and just settle for a few favourites. People do have regular clearouts (all hail the BST!) to declutter, or make space for new things to try. I probably have too many soaps, but still a fraction of what some guys here have in the den.

Back
Top Bottom