What are you waiting on to arrive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Puma 88 5/8th, my first Puma

Got it this morning, was better than I expected, it cleaned up quite well.
Had to go out but was champing at the bit to get the hones out, eventually got home at 8:30pm and was on it right away. The existing bevel was very thin and was not worth trying to revive so I set a new bevel, went thro the stones up to 12k then the thuri, .....then thuri under a trickle of water, dia sprayed felt, crox felt, linen strop and leather, I feel I say this a lot, but it was a superb edge, super smooth and comfortable, the way it should be, this is already one of my top 5 razors :)
To finish, I defo feel the felt strops are for me a lot better than balsa, the felt just seems to smooth the edge so much better. I got my felt from ebay for a few quid, enough for three strops. I got the 3mm stuff if that helps anyone thinking about it, any thicker and I think there would be too much bounce/sinking, but hey ho, maybe 6mm is good...I don't know. :)

Hi everyone, First post from me. I've been using straight razors for the last couple of years. Thought I'd give a DE razor a go for a change so I ordered a EJ89 to start with which will be arriving this evening. Looking forward to giving it a try.

I am guessing you are a merchant seaman? If so, same at this end for the past 43 years

Wow excellent. I did 27 years and took voluntary redundancy a couple of years ago. I miss the sea but not the job

Great.

I am now a skipper on the tugs as I thought it would be a nice way to wind down towards retirement. 'Yeh this going to be easy'. First mistake I made.

Give me the big boats any day. Much easier to drive and park, plus I was never expected to hit anything.

Great.

I am now a skipper on the tugs as I thought it would be a nice way to wind down towards retirement. 'Yeh this going to be easy'. First mistake I made.

Give me the big boats any day. Much easier to drive and park, plus I was never expected to hit anything.
I couldn't navigate as I'm colour blind, so I was sent “down below”. I rarely ventured down the engine room though, dirty, dark and noisy

As I was first told when I went to sea. My job was going to be to stand on the stone which keeps the dirty creatures down below. But to be honest I was down the engine room only last week helping out to keep the tug working. So I failed on the first rule.

Still retire next December so all can be put behind me and I can become a professional granddad

As I was first told when I went to sea. My job was going to be to stand on the stone which keeps the dirty creatures down below. But to be honest I was down the engine room only last week helping out to keep the tug working. So I failed on the first rule.

Still retire next December so all can be put behind me and I can become a professional granddad
Well I wish you all the best in retirement. I'm 49 so have a few years to go but I'm looking forward to it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom