What are you waiting on to arrive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Atra cartridges and the Reed & Barton handles are very nice so I picked up this NOS one from 1977 for $27.
They came out in two models/platings; silver and sterling silver.
This is the sterling silver one.
s-l1600.jpg

My first straight Razor! A full hollow ground Eicker Solingen 4/8th from our very own @Fergiebilly should be on its way soon. Really looking forward to it... He has re-honed the blade from scratch and told me this morning he test shaved with some normal soap and a splash of water and got a BBS off of one pass! There's no chance I'll be doing that, but at least I know it's sharp :eek:
DSC_0294_zpsrxufgbvs.jpg
DSC_0305_zpsitafasxd.jpg

Looks great. I like the material choice, oak is beautyful wood. What are your plans for the finish?
Are you going to add a base or is it a design on which the different brushes are weight and conterweight?

Marco
Thanks Marco, yes I seem to have got the balance just right. I'm able to put a lot of weight on the front without the need to counter balance. It's just off cuts we've got lying about. We use a lot of oak at work. I'll finish either with pale shellac or Danish oil.

Paul, the actual base is 50mm x 50mm, height incl top is 155mm and the diameter of the top is 150mm.
The curve in the stand aids the weight/balance. I have made something similiar but slightly more involved. Curves are wonderful things!View attachment 20314
Would you be up for making a custom piece, like yours but with six spaces so the top is symmetrical, it's an OCD thing!

Would you be up for making a custom piece, like yours but with six spaces so the top is symmetrical, it's an OCD thing!
I'd never say never & I'm more than happy to do a few bit's & pieces for people. I'm on holiday from next week for 2 weeks & if you're still keen, contact me. There are certain challeges with a piece like this, the size of your brush handles, for instance. Also, I'm limited to Oak because unashamedly I nick it from work & that's pretty much all we use. But we can talk Paul...

Thanks Marco, yes I seem to have got the balance just right. I'm able to put a lot of weight on the front without the need to counter balance. It's just off cuts we've got lying about. We use a lot of oak at work. I'll finish either with pale shellac or Danish oil.

That's lovely. The self balancing design makes it even more cool. Please show us pictures of the stand when finished and filled with brushes.

What do you mean with "Danish Oil"?
As I am living in Denmark and own an old house I am doing woodworking on a regular base. For finishing I often use linseed oil in different qualities. Is this the stuff you call "Danish Oil"?

Best Regards
Marco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom