What are you listening to?

Going back to some of his earliest stuff (here, 1993) it has a reminiscence of what became known as "dark ambient" comparable to the likes of Scorn (Napalm Death spin-off) ... this album particularly so. With probably over 100 albums to his name, certainly 60+ in my collection, this sound has been quite consistently returned to with several albums from each decade returning to this form. Others interplay with all sorts of experimentation, discordance and even pure reprogramming (if engaged with a little acid).

It's not music to "listen to" ... it is music to fall into. It is music to partake of in its entirety and I am glad that so many have been presented as full albums on YouTube. It is not music for the inattentive or for those who like to "press next".

I'm enjoying it a lot more with mood lighting morphing around. Gawd! If I had that kinda setup back in the early 1990s, I would have been set! And that I think says a lot about Muslimgauze, a one-man effort with occasional collaboration, that his catalogue spans 40 years now. Curiously, he died over 20 years ago ... and THAT says a lot more about his music, that his preferred labels are still clearing the backlog.

Back
Top Bottom