What are you listening to?

Chet Atkins - Christmas with Chet Atkins

220px-Christmas_with_chet_atkins.jpg

Fido said:
BBC Radio2.

Reminding myself of the joys of a decent tuner, amp and speakers!
A subject close to my heart Peter. I wouldn't be surprised if we all have to convert to the dismal "CD quality" DAB standard before long ... if the future of FM was assurred I'd have ploughed a fortune into tuners by now. A Leak Troughline with an upgraded decoder and a Naim NAT 01 for sure. I dearly love the wireless, and it pains me that within a few years there's a strong probability that instead of superb Radio 3 and 4 transmissions I'll have to make do with sub-MP3 quality mediocrity. Albeit a hundred channels worth. [/rant]

Just finished:
1.211285KateRusby-AwkwardAnnie.jpg

Now playing:
2333861435_91ebb89cb0.jpg

In between, a quick blast of Bob: Tombstone Blues and Subterranean Homesick Blues ... just about all I need of him.

Donald Fagen - The Nightfly

0504.+Donald+Fagen+-+The+Nightfly.jpg

Review:
A portrait of the artist as a young man, The Nightfly is a wonderfully evocative reminiscence of Kennedy-era American life; in the liner notes, Donald Fagen describes the songs as representative of the kinds of fantasies he entertained as an adolescent during the late '50s/early '60s, and he conveys the tenor of the times with some of his most personal and least obtuse material to date. Continuing in the smooth pop-jazz mode favored on the final Steely Dan records, The Nightfly is lush and shimmering, produced with cinematic flair by Gary Katz; romanticized but never sentimental, the songs are slices of suburbanite soap opera, tales of space-age hopes (the hit "I.G.Y.") and Cold War fears (the wonderful "The New Frontier," a memoir of fallout-shelter love) crafted with impeccable style and sophistication. Jason Ankeny - Allmusic.com

http://www.allmusic.com/album/the-nightfly-r7048

Back
Top Bottom