What are you eating tonight?

If you follow my instagram page @colindavies39 then you would have seen the couple of vid posts.

Today i started at 8am had the smoker up to 225°c or 107°F and i did short ribs

Used a salt pepper garlic and mustard powder rub

Let the smoker run like this for 8 hours then took it out and rested, while i got on with the veg, potatoes, and yorky puds , tbh the yorkys could have done with a bit longer, but all this on an offset bbq/smoker.

The ribs just fell out

Was pretty amazing, check out my instagram for all the information please
Colin

Attachments

• IMG_20200906_181337_922.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 2

Bacalao - salt cod - I won't be eating this until Friday - quite fitting really - it requires at least two days to prepare - before you can cook it - takes time to wash the salt out - high maintenance - the water needs to be changed on a regular basis - gifted to me tonight - it came from a Spanish trawler berthed in Lochinver harbour - Sutherland - North West Scotland. I shall be making - my signature dish - Bacalao A La Vizcaina - the sauce needs choricero peppers - helpfully - I have a string of dried ones in the kitchen. Oddly - the thickening agent for the sauce isn't flour - it is ground up biscuits - galletas Marias - if you don't have those - Rich Tea will do just as good. Granted - it doesn't look that tasty - but if you have ever eaten salt cod - you will know - this is god food. As good a bit of bacalao as I have ever seen - grey - not yellow - and still flexible. I.

Last edited:
When the Norwegian fishing boats used to land at North Shields in the 1970's they all had fish hanging by their tails drying in the wind , dangling on a rope suspended between the forward and aft mast , a staple part of their diet , bacalao of course very popular in Spain and Portugal .

After 72 hours of soaking - to take the salt out - I shall cook this tonight - slow food - entirely good - in a rich tomato sauce - lots of fresh herbs - more olive oil than you can imagine - garlic cooked in its skin - then dumped - rosemary is particularly good - with salt cod - boiled potatoes - hopefully - job done. I don't take the skin off the cod - it adds a lovely gelatinous quality to the sauce - when you want to serve them as fillets - helps keep the fish together - most recipes have you flake it - not for me. Served with chopped boiled eggs - nice - granted - doesn't look that appetising - how wrong you are. I.

Last edited:
I can't get into fish. Lemon Sole is the only fish I can eat. I have been meaning to try a Dover Sole at a posh restaurant or Cornish Sole.

Just had it
Roast leg of Lamb, Roast Potatoes, Green Beans,Peas, Carrots with Gravy and mince sauce.
Kentish Strawberries and Ice Cream

PS sorry Derrick

Leftovers ...

The other night I made up a nice chicken thigh stew, bunging anything I could find into it and eventually dropping a can of tomatoes in. Unintentially, it was gorgeous! Perfect balance of saltiness from the bouillon and sweetness from the carrots and peppers.

Anyway, lots of sauce left over ...

Tonight, I popped in some udon noodles, prawns and chorizo. Some chillies, too. Really good!