What a difference a blade makes!

When I started DE shaving the Israeli blades were fantastic. Smooth, sharp enough and forgiving. Every time I tried a sharper blade I got trouble so I stuck with them for a while.

Don't get rid of those sharper blades though. In a year's time, when you've got your technique and favourite kit sorted, try them again. You'll be surprised. ;)

Pete said:
When I started DE shaving the Israeli blades were fantastic. Smooth, sharp enough and forgiving. Every time I tried a sharper blade I got trouble so I stuck with them for a while.

Don't get rid of those sharper blades though. In a year's time, when you've got your technique and favourite kit sorted, try them again. You'll be surprised. ;)

What you mean I have to get some more gear :eek: :eek:

sjedwardz said:
What you mean I have to get some more gear :eek: :eek:

Maybe not. Sticking with the same razor, brush, blades or soap is great for developing your technique, as long as they are working OK for you.

However, having the restraint to not buy every product that catches your eye is far more difficult. :lol:

Some people will setle on having a large stash of two or three blades. I have worked my way about 40 different kinds and of them I have about 10 I would happily use. As I worked my way through them I bought more Swedes, Iridium, Personna, Gilette Silver Blues, Astra keramik, Astra SP, Gillette Super Thin, Gillette Stainless, Kai, Feather and Gillette Bleues and a few others and I like them all in different razors

Nothing wrong with only having one or just a couple of favourites, but I like the variety of picking a random blade and trying in a new combination. Find what works for you, there is no right and no wrong.

Audiolab said:
I bought more Swedes, Iridium, Personna, Gilette Silver Blues, Astra keramik, Astra SP, Gillette Super Thin, Gillette Stainless, Kai, Feather and Gillette Bleues

That is a fantastic selection. :cool:

Just been looking at my selection and wondering how long it will take to try them all out;-
Astra Super Platinum.
Personna Reds.
Feather Platinums
Derby Extra
Crown Super Stainless.
Shark Super Stainless and the Merkur that came with the razor.
So we will see what I end up sticking with or will I give into temptation and buy more............ :shock: :shock:

an update on the original post.

Swapped back to red personnas which worked a lot better. No nicks and the razor rash has gone.
Then tried out the crystal ip which I really like, a nice smooth shave with no cuts or harshness. Some of this I'm sure is down to improved technique so I will give the iridiums another go some time.
Seems like red personnas are a nice forgiving blade to start with though.

another update :D

Really liked the crystals but ran out this morning. So plucked up the courage to use a feather.

WOW! What a shave. Used palmolive stick and the razor just glided over SO smoothly. Didn't feel like it was cutting but it sure made the cutting sound.
2 passes, no nicks or cuts and the closest shave yet.
Finished off with alum, Proraso AS and a balm. Again no stinging.

Think I have found THE ONE :D Now to find the cheapest place for them....

Back
Top Bottom