What a difference a blade makes!

I've only just started DE shaving.Bought an Edwin Jagger DE89L last week and a pack of sample blades from connaught.

Loaded up with a Red Personna first and had a very good shave with hardly any problems. The odd slight nick which stopped after applying aftershave and balm. Also skin felt fine afterwards even with across and against the grain shaving.

On the fifth shave swapped the personna for an Iridium. Straight away I could notice a difference, seems quite a bit sharper and took away a lot more of my whiskers.

BUT even with the same technique (or lack there of :shock: ) god cuts all over the place and BIG weeper ones that made me look like a Freddy Kruger victim! Only went with the grain but my skin felt very sore afterwards.
Stuck this out for another day, this time went even more gingerley but same thing happened.

Today binned the Iridium and back to a Personna and got a nice shave again! Needed one or two more passes but no cuts or niggles.

Didn't realise a blade could make such a difference in the same razor. God knows what a massacre I'd do with a Feather blade. :eek:

Going to stick with the personnas for the next two weeks and then try something else maybe a crystal or Derby which I believe are close to the same feel.

Red personna are one of the three blades I settled on. The others are Gillette Super Thins and Crystal Platinum. I had the same experience with Iridium. It's good to find a blade that suits so quickly. Enjoy.

Funnily enough I am in the throes of a new love affair with Iridiums.

Loaded into a mildish razor (Rocket) and with Henk's uber-lube soap I get legendary shaves.

It's a funny old world.

Rev-O said:

Loaded into a mildish razor (Rocket) and with Henk's uber-lube soap I get legendary shaves.

It's a funny old world.

I know its bizarre how a certain blade, razor or soap works for one person and not for another!

At least if I stick to the personna for a couple of weeks when I try a new blade I'll have a good comaparison. Good job I didn't start with an iridium in the first place though!

sjedwardz said:
I've only just started DE shaving.Bought an Edwin Jagger DE89L last week and a pack of sample blades from connaught.

Loaded up with a Red Personna first and had a very good shave with hardly any problems. The odd slight nick which stopped after applying aftershave and balm. Also skin felt fine afterwards even with across and against the grain shaving.

On the fifth shave swapped the personna for an Iridium. Straight away I could notice a difference, seems quite a bit sharper and took away a lot more of my whiskers.

BUT even with the same technique (or lack there of :shock: ) god cuts all over the place and BIG weeper ones that made me look like a Freddy Kruger victim! Only went with the grain but my skin felt very sore afterwards.
Stuck this out for another day, this time went even more gingerley but same thing happened.

I also cannot use what are considered the "sharp" blades,Feather's,Swedes etc,but i do get good shaves with Red Personna's and excellent shaves with Sharks,i guess some of us have faces that can't cope with too sharp a blade.

Dave.

I can shave with Swedes, Iridiums and 7'OClock Sharp Edge blades, but Feathers are too sharp.

Give me a Derby or any Personna, and I'll give them away or throw them in the bin, as they're not sharp enough for my beard.

Ian

you're right there - i started with red personnas and like them very much. pretty much from the off i was getting good, irritation free shaves without many weepers.

in the search of a DFS or BBS, i have tried feathers (got a close shave, no irritation and only 1 or 2 small weepers).

then tried gillette platinum and they don't seem to suit me. they feel like they're grabbing the hair. not many weepers, but i didn't get as close a shave.

today i tried TREET and i'm binning it tomorrow - what a horrible, snatchy shave. felt like i was going to tear my face up, so i only did 2 WTG passes and, as a result, had a below par shave. no bleeders though (which is something).

onwards in search of better shaves :shave

Rev-O said:

It's a funny old world.
I'm glad you get on with them Ollie, I'd say they were my favourites if you hadn't sent me those Swedes. Which is a bit of a bugger.

sjedwardz said:
God knows what a massacre I'd do with a Feather blade. :eek:

Don't assume its the sharpness of the blade that is the issue, I'm quite new to this too but I have had one of my best shaves with a feather. I also have the EJ DE89 too (albeit smooth finish not lined) and have had similar experiences with the Red Persona and Iridium.

So far my most favoured blades are the:-
Feather
Gillette 7 O'clock Yellow
Treet Carbon "Black Beauty"
Red Persona

I believe that the top 3 have a reputation for being sharp, yes the different blades make a lot of difference and I think there is a lot more to it than how sharp they are :)

Jeltz said:
sjedwardz said:
God knows what a massacre I'd do with a Feather blade. :eek:

Don't assume its the sharpness of the blade that is the issue, I'm quite new to this too but I have had one of my best shaves with a feather. I also have the EJ DE89 too (albeit smooth finish not lined) and have had similar experiences with the Red Persona and Iridium.

So far my most favoured blades are the:-
Feather
Gillette 7 O'clock Yellow
Treet Carbon "Black Beauty"
Red Persona

I believe that the top 3 have a reputation for being sharp, yes the different blades make a lot of difference and I think there is a lot more to it than how sharp they are :)

Thats good news as I was looking forward to trying a few seeing as I paid for them!

I have all of the above apart from the Treet. In hindsight I should have stuck to the personna to get used to it and then move on to something else once I'd got a bit of experience. But that would require being sensible and patient!

sjedwardz said:
Thats good news as I was looking forward to trying a few seeing as I paid for them!

I have all of the above apart from the Treet. In hindsight I should have stuck to the personna to get used to it and then move on to something else once I'd got a bit of experience. But that would require being sensible and patient!

I've always been a believer that if you learn from your mistakes, therefore the more mistakes you make the wiser you become!

Its bloody amazing how wise I can get in a short space of time! :? :cool: :lol:

Makes you thankful that we can pick up blade sampler packs, with such a vast amount out there it makes it a bit cheaper to narrow the choice down.
That and the kindness of fellow member’s piff’ing.

The personnas are good blades for most, giving an all-round good shave and setting the bar for a middle of the road blade which other blades are then judged against.

My shavocalypse stash contains Iridium’s, Yellow 7’s and red personnas. Gillette Super Thins are soon to join them.

Good luck and happy blade hunting. :)

It does make you wonder what people did before T'Internet and a whole host of blades to try and great guys in forums like this to fall back on.

Did they just get on with it if they had a bad experience and put it down to "well that's how it is".
Or is choice not such a great thing at the end of the day?

sjedwardz said:
It does make you wonder what people did before T'Internet and a whole host of blades to try and great guys in forums like this to fall back on.

Did they just get on with it if they had a bad experience and put it down to "well that's how it is".
Or is choice not such a great thing at the end of the day?

Ah, choice, the destroyer of nations.

And the wallet... :roll:

Back
Top Bottom