Wellies

I have a pair of Hunters that are now getting to the end of their life. Unfortunately, new Hunters seem to have gone way downhill.

Any suggestions for a replacement? The Aigles and Chameaus look nice but I would also consider one of the less well known brands (for wellies anyway) such as Toggi or Musto.

The boots need to be comfortable for long stints, warm enough for winter use and must have great grip.

Some of the Barbour range are quite nice, I have a pair of the hunter classics with neoprene lining found them to be a excellent mid price wellie. the Aigles Le' Chameaus are usually way over priced for what they are.

http://www.bestinthecountry.co.uk/country-clothing/neoprene_lined_wellingtons/hunter_balmoral_neoprene_lined_wellies__free_boot_bag/40954_p.html?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=Organic

Jamie.

I don't know (or want to) what you do in them. For me, dood boots and good gaiters are the best.
Only very short / rare times do I need wellies, and "disposable" make sense.
love'n'joy
Lloyd

Depends what you want them for & I don't want to know either, but I had a pair for dog walking & they wore out very quickly & weren't that comfortable either. I bought a pair of Tay Muck boots in March & they are lovely & warm, comfortable & feel like I could walk in them all day. They're good down to minus something too. The grip is great off Tarmac but can be slightly slippy on a wet smooth surface, such as decking.
Considering that I've worn them a lot since I've had them 'cos of the long wet season they are wearing quite well too. Overall I can highly recommend them & will another pair when these have had it.

Muck boots are fairly good but I'm a chubby chap and find them too warm for my feet. A lot of the open canoeing guys I know use them as they're very comfortable whether paddling the boat or trekking up a hill (or best of all, walking to the Pub :icon_wink:). Pretty good value for what they are and a good range of models to choose from so really a +1 from me. Wanderlust is right about their sub-zero performance too as they really come into their own here.

Hunter Wellies are now made in China, they shipped production there from the factory in Dumfries a few years ago (they also made Tredaire carpet underlay) that'll be the reason for the drop in quality
i used to work in the other factory making timing belts

I can safely say that finally splurging on aigles was one of the better thing's I've done lately, I've only had them 6m but they're the most comfortable I've had, even better than the uk produced hunters I had way back when. Plenty of grip and a big enough gusset that they're not too tight on my calf when I'm wearing thick trousers.

I have a pair of Aigle Parcours and they are superb. I've had them for three years now, I use them a lot and they are as good as new. Mine are 4mm neoprene lined so are very warm in the coldest weather

I have a pair of Muckboots that I bought for shooting, they're warm and comfy even when I'm spending an afternoon standing about in the cold, and I suffer with cold feet. The neoprene tops fit my calves comfortably too.

My 20 or so yr old no-brand black road-works stock freebies are still going strong. Admittedly they don't get the heaviest use as I prefer to wear boots unless the job is especially wet / mucky.

Back
Top Bottom