Well done TSR - £200 donated to charity this month

Lads, you've come up trumps this month: through my sales, Tony's raffle and lots of donations we've sent just short of £200 to charity. The spit is approx 50/50, with a hundred quid each going to a "Crisis" Christmas Homeless Hostel and a "Compassion" child development project.

Thank-you and well done; special thanks to all those who contributed without return or reward and, of course, to Tony for coming up with the raffle. I feel a bit embarrassed to have won, but it was random and quite amusing. :oops:

Added to that is the forty or fifty quid I've made for charity this year by buying large job lots of razors, scrubbing them up and flogging them with a decent photo and description - fun for me and a win/win all round. :D

So: thanks to everyone who's given (and received) this year, and for all the PIF's flying about (I've must have tried scores of products - soaps, creams, blades, razors, brushes - in past twelve months by buying, selling, samples and PIFs). Huge fun, entirely harmless and a bunch of top blokes.

Finally, I should add that through this site I've met some top people. Just in the past couple of months I've had professional advice about lighting my church (Megaman CFL Par38 at trade price, thanks Andy), been given a wi-fi Modem (thanks Hunny), had a professional quality photo shoot of my stained glass windows (thanks Boab), bought a Barbour waxed cotton motorbike suit (thanks SirPrize), learned some chemistry (thanks Henk) and had some top shaves. I can only assume that men who appreciate a good shave are more likely to be knowledgeable, cultured and pleasant than the lumpen mass of men in general: you are, in a word, gentlemen. I only hope I've managed to put as much in as I've got out (he said, fishing for compliments . . .) :roll:

God bless you all

Merry Christmas

Ollie

OK, my big win arrived today. With that by little lot my sink I'm in a position to pass a decent badger brush, HD Rocket, Henk's no. 5 and a blade sampler pack to my assistant priest who has lately given up wet shaving for electric! He'd been using a bush and cream but also a cartridge razor. I thought a chunky HD and some "DE-cent" blades might make him reconsider. I'll let you know.

And I've passed £89.60 (inc. GiftAid) to Tearfund as the raffle surplus. See email below.

For a website with 200 members (some of whom will be lapsed or very occasional) raising nearly £200 in a single month is very good. Nice, too, that the first and biggest tranche went to help the homeless in this country at Christmas, and the second lot goes further afield and on longer-term work.

Once again: thanks and well done.

God bless you all.

Email from Tearfund:

DATE: 23 December 2009

Dear Mr Harrison

Thank you so much for your generous gift of £70.00. Your donation will support our worldwide projects through the local church, bringing material and spiritual transformation to poor communities in countries like Malawi.

Pastor Cuthbert Gondwe works with Eagles, one of Tearfund’s partners in Malawi. Over the last five years, he has seen an amazing transformation in the village of Fombe, all made possible with donations like yours. Fombe was once a desperate place because of failing harvests, a lack of water and sanitation facilities and the growing problem of HIV. But now, joy is evident on the villagers' faces. There’s a community garden to support the poorest families, drought-resistant plants to improve crop yields, and Pastor Cuthbert is helping to mobilise the local church to support people living with HIV.

Although life has improved greatly, there is still plenty of work to be done in Fombe, such as completing a new reservoir to store water for crops. That’s why your support means so much. Your generosity this Christmas has enabled Eagles, working through the local church, to continue their vital work in Fombe, bringing about physical, social and spiritual change - as well as supporting more projects like these in some of the world’s poorest countries. You have helped to give new hope and confidence to children like 13-year-old Gloria. Pastor Cuthbert has been supporting Gloria as she attends hospital for her HIV treatment, and he’s been working with the local church to set up an HIV support group in the village.

As the local pastor in Fombe says, ‘The church can do more for a village like Fombe than any other organisation, because it is with the people all of the time. Organisations come and visit but the church is here not only on Sunday, but every day of the week.’

Because of your support, families in places like Fombe will enjoy a much more hopeful future. Please pray that this transformation continues, both in Fombe and for other families in the world’s poorest countries.

Thank you again for your generosity.

Yours in Christ

Allison Liu
Donor Care Manager

Tearfund, 100 Church Road, Teddington, Middlesex TW11 8QE
Tel: 0845 355 8355
Email: <!-- e --><a href="mailto:giving@tearfund.org">giving@tearfund.org</a><!-- e -->
Website: <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.tearfund.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.tearfund.org</a><!-- w -->

Living Gifts

Help transform lives this Christmas with Living Gifts. Give Gifts that keep on giving.
Email vouchers can be delivered straight to your inbox.

Visit <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.livinggifts.org.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.livinggifts.org.uk</a><!-- w --> to find out more.

Back
Top Bottom