Weird straight info... why did I get this?

What the F*** did I get of eBay last night?

Ok, just to be clear, I saw a few japanese straights, they were all at crazy prices (same seller) except this one.
So I put in a really low bid, and won it... first time I've seen a japanese straight like this.

Any info, even if you tell me it's crap, let me know! (hope it's not!)

"Japanese razor,NIHON KAMISORI ,SHOWA"
6 inches.(L)
The condition of the blade is good.
It has the stamp of "Specially-made SHOWA".

these are the ebay pictures:
VtFZs.jpg

jZNtN.jpg

LFApe.jpg

GQOwp.jpg

I think I saw a post somewhere about one of these, and the conclusion was that it was possibly a blade for "medical" shaving - for shaving patients before operations.

Ian

It´s a japanese frameback. It´s prob rather heavy (the back should be solid), japanese for barbers use razors have kind of the same design. One I´ll get my hands on one of these days. Normaly they have western scales though, but I think Ian can be right and it´s a special hospital design :?

Edited: Kamisori = japanese for razor, maybe straight razor and I think Nihon also is some kind of generic name. Shova is prob the makers name.

I just update this post for future reference, as it's now with Neil.
Our mail conversation:

Frenchblade said:
I have thought about the kamasori, the hospital theory doesn't fly with me, the embossing and the way it's made would be completely unlike hospitals, to much chance of dirt and and bacteria lodging in there.
(look at russian hospital straights, they're very smooth) I might be wrong though, but my initial thought would be that. I work in the medical field, and even old instruments are smooth to the touch.

Neil Miller said:
I know what you mean about the kamisori - it looks far too textured - the handle and spine have even been satin-brushed to add more texture. I reckon its just a regular japanese straight - it could be autoclaved. but that might ruin the blade temper - even the Swann-Morton scalpels have detachable blades so that the handles can be autoclaved.

So it might just be a normal one, with a different shape :p

Max

Back
Top Bottom