Week Long Comparison: R41GS v Rockwell 6S

I got a new Rockwelk 6S at a real deal, so I thought I would do a week long comparison with my other SS razor, the R41GS.

To keep it controlled I'll use the same kit and routine for each of my 6 shaves next week, alternating razors day by day.

Kit is below.

20230304_124510.jpg

Routine:

Hot wash with soap
Oil
Face lather
WTG pass and tidy
Hot wash with soap
ATG pass and tidy
Cold wash with brush squeezings
Alum
Cold wash with soap
AS

That'll give the razors their best chance to perform well.

The 6S will be here Monday, so I'll compare the razors themselves Monday and update this thread.

I'll shave Mon to Thur, then Sat and Sun as usual then update the thread with my thoughts on the performance of each. That'll account for any "off" days and changes in blade performance and give a rounded view

Hopefully it'll be interesting...

OK

The 6S will be here tomorrow, so here's a quick overview of the R41GS.

Specs:

Dimension: 42.3 mm x 105.9 mm
Weight: Total weight 113g, razor head 35g, handle 78g

The packaging is pretty ordinary. That's not really important but this is a pretty pricey razor.

20230305_171800.jpg

The razor itself is as solid as a rock. Beautifully finished and everything fits exactly. There's a really nice contrast between the satin and the polished edges. The engraving is crisp and the overall feeling is if a high quality item. It definitely feels a step up from the cheaper R41s.

20230305_172254.jpg

20230305_172355.jpg

The blade is perfectly aligned and there is no play whatsoever when you position it on the cap.

20230305_172645.jpg

So, the Rockwell seems to be stuck in the post. I’ll do a review of then razor itself as soon as it’s here.

As far as using each razor on alternate days, well that’s not worked out. I’m two days in with the R41, so I’ll balance it all out when the 6S arrives and make sure they enter equal use.

Oh well, you know what they say about counting your chickens....

OK, so, initial impressions.

Packaging is nicer than the R41GS's.

20230311_094906.jpg

I've heard people say that these are built like tanks. They are right. Its slightly smaller and heavier than the R41GS:

Handle length: 85mm
Weight with head attached: 120g

20230311_100853.jpg

It's very well finished and everything fits together perfectly, but it's much more industrial looking than the Muhle. The engraved branding is nicley done.

My only criticism is that the cap didn't initially screw smoothly into the handle, but was fine after the first try. I've seen reviews mention this before.

20230311_095037.jpg

20230311_095121.jpg

The seems to be quite a variation in balde gap between the mildest and the wildest plates:

20230311_095348.jpg

20230311_095855.jpg

All in all it feels like another quality product.

The trial will now start, with each razor getting 3 shaves (alternate days) using the process and equipment above. I'll take notes and update the thread next weekend with the results.

Any SOTD posts in the meantime we skip the detail of the shave...

Last edited:
The 6s is truly a wonderful razor with a plate to suit everyone.
My go to plate is 4 and it’s been a while since i tried 6 so i really must give it a go
My first shave, on 5, was very promising. I could imagine this being a great 2nd razor, once you know you like DE shaving but haven't yet found your ideal razor...

My first shave, on 5, was very promising. I could imagine this being a great 2nd razor, once you know you like DE shaving but haven't yet found your ideal razor...
Is there an ideal Razor ???
Wish i could stick to one but i can’t
they are all ideal for me.
Mind you i do like my Occam’s Oren
AKA Potato Peeler

Back
Top Bottom