Weber DLC Review (Pic heavy!)

Tall_Paul said:
Interesting. I've used Gillette greens several times and got a good shave.

Have you got a very coarse stubble?

It's only tough on the last pass when the hair is at its shortest i find, perhaps I need to try some skin stretching?

Thought I would update.

Much closer shave today, I'm trying all the blades I have to find what blades suit this razor, today's was a Gillette Yellow, not as smooth when compared with other blades in this razor but seems to be much closer. That an I think a little more pressure and confidence with it as it is so much heavier than other razors.

I may go back to blacks to see if I can get it closer as i do find them smoother, but will try a polisilver and feather first.

chris.hale said:
Glad you're enjoying the Weber, I got one of the ARC ones a few weeks back..

ARC - Advanced Razor Coating. Any idea what this actually is? Whats the difference between this and the DLC coating?

JaseB said:
chris.hale said:

ARC - Advanced Razor Coating. Any idea what this actually is? Whats the difference between this and the DLC coating?

http://www.weberrazor.com/coatings

Awesome looking razor. Defiantly on my wish list.

mattyb240 said:
Hey everyone just wondering if anyone can recommend some blades for this? I'm finding it a bit too mild at the moment and can't get as close as I need/want.

I've tried:
Gillette Super thin
Astra Sp
Gillette green

I've got lined up a polo silver and dare I say it a feather, I'm reluctant on the feather!

I've used Feathers without pain with the Weber. I mainly use the Astra and occasionally the Personna Lab or Med blades, Voskhod or Bolzano. The Feather will get even closer and the Weber still stays a smooth shave.

I read on the razorbladesandmore.com website that only difference is the med is coated and oiled and goes through some other un-named prep process. The lab is just coated ("comfort coated"). I think other than that they are the same blade.

I just read an old post in badgerandblade. This guy wrote Personna and got this answer.

"Med Preps and Lab blades are made to the same specification, but the Meds go through an extra rinse process."

I can't tell a difference in shaving with with either blade.

JaseB said:
chris.hale said:

Someone on B&B claimed that it was medical chrome, but I don't know where he got the information from.

According to Ed Weber, the ARC feels slightly slicker but it's mainly down to which colour you prefer.

The ARC definitely feels slicker.

The DLC stands for diamond-like carbon. It is harder than stainless steel or chrome. http://www.weberrazor.com/why-dlc

The ARC stands for advanced razor coating, as Chris said. Like the DLC, it is hard, slick and wear resistant.

The ARC is not medical chrome, at least from what the website says. It doesn't say exactly what it is made of.

Med/Lab blade is one I have on my try list as it gets good reviews. Getting hold of them not the easiest task though Connaught does stock them but looking for a cheaper option if liked as they are approaching the price of Feather blades for 100.

The Weber razor has grabbed my attention too but currently still out of stock. As to which model - DLC or ARC is something not sure of.

Another couple of sharp blades you could try are the (Russian) Perma-Sharp and the Supermax Super Platinum - both good blades. Gillette 'Green' Super Stainless are good blades with nice longevity but not the sharpest. Perform well for me in a Merkur 34C but a little skin stretching (very small amount) on problem areas like the sides of the chin for me does help clear up compact growth.

Thanks for your input! Currently trying polisilvers and then have some sharks and a couple of super maxes to try. The polisilver is the closest and most comfortable I have managed! However I didn't like the blade in my slant!

lindyhop66 said:
Weber sends you an Astra SP blade when you buy a Weber. It works well. I haven't found any blade that doesn't work well. I've even used the Feather and the Bolzano as well as Personna Med, Lab, Blue, Red and Wilkinson Sword.

I havent found a bad blade so to speak, just finding some are getting closer than others, could also be me adapting to the razor of course. I sure do love the weight of this thing, makes my slant and R89 feel like a toy!

It's a very interesting, good looking razor, probably the cheapest one you can buy in stainless steel. Some people said that they "copied" Rotbart 15 head design (the best closed comb razor I have ever tried) so that could be an explanation for so good reviews in any forum about shaving.

Yeah, it's calling me...

Back
Top Bottom