Wax on Wax off

Introducing myself to the joys of hone lapping tonight with the Dragon's Tongue slate I received today. It is sent out in a pretty rough state, which means you can easily see how you are getting on. Feel like I'm getting a good work out on the forearms.

An hour and a quarter in and still a long way off drawing a test grid, but I guess I'm probably about half way there.

Just having a break for Fish and Chips then back to it. :hungrig

screenshot20101002at213.jpg

I was thinking about buying one of those Welsh stones. I'm doing my lapping on wet n dry in the garden on a big slab of marble, if it's going to take that amount of effort I'll be putting off the purchase until the June or so.

It took about 2-2.25 hours in total I lapped it on 320 grit wet most of that time then changed to 600 grit once the whole surface was flat. <grid checked it twice>

I suspect I should have started with 100-200 grit paper and it would probably have been a lot quicker.

Two hours or more seems an excessively long time for one of these relatively soft stones - I have lapped quite a few and usually spend about 20 minutes or so (and these are longer and wider) - I do start with 150 grit, but even then starting with 320 shouldn't take that much longer. I reckon you must have got an exceptionally hard slate - in which case it should give a very good edge.

Regards,
Neil

Neil Miller said:
Two hours or more seems an excessively long time for one of these relatively soft stones - I have lapped quite a few and usually spend about 20 minutes or so (and these are longer and wider) - I do start with 150 grit, but even then starting with 320 shouldn't take that much longer. I reckon you must have got an exceptionally hard slate - in which case it should give a very good edge.

Regards,
Neil

Excellent, it did seem very hard and very rough when I started.

Back
Top Bottom