Wax jacket curious

I've got a strange hybrid of a true to style Harrington jacket, but made with waxed cotton and corduroy trim, kind of Peyton Place meets country squire, from Jump the Gun. It wasn't a 'practical' coat, but I wanted it for days when showers were likely, in town. To that extent it was quite a good 'waterproof Harrington' but the wax did transfer, and it did take some upkeep. Looked great when new, but the creases became wear points and ended up with 'self-generated' holes, particularly in the sleeves. I'm torn (sorry) about whether to replace it with the same, about 51/49 against, on balance.

If the style is no consideration, I do the same as @Mike Smart and I have a 'duvet' feather puffer from Marks & Spencer and throw a shell over it for waterproof.

Exactly this. I use the Barbour in London where they are arguably quite stylish and more often than you are just exposed to the elements for short periods, Goretex when I am back in rural Shropshire where my family hail from.

I should have added that I got the Corbridge: https://www.barbour.com/uk/barbour-corbridge-wax-jacket-mwx0340ru91

Plenty of pockets, decent styling and no batwing collar which is a pet hate of mine. It's lightly padded too for colder days. I don't like hoods particularly and instead use a matching flat cap. Rewaxing using a hairdryer is straightforward too. The only thing I can fault is that one of the cuffs needed restitching after 3 years use.

...If the style is no consideration, I do the same as @Mike Smart and I have a 'duvet' feather puffer from Marks & Spencer and throw a shell over it for waterproof.

That's fine & dandy, but with that setup you need a shell that "breathes" or else be "pit zipped". The problem with Gore-Tex shells is that they really don't breathe all that well when you are really "bushwhacking" hard or on a high temp day. Gore-Tex works best in windy & cold situations IMO. Back in the early 2000's Gore had a product called Activent that IMO worked better in light rain and Summer conditions. I had an anorak with that as its membrane and after I treated it with what was then the best DWR made, Tectron, it excelled!! I have read that Gore now uses the Activent, or some semblance thereof, in their Windstopper line.

I am out of the game for outside tech stuff pretty much these days and as it's a big $$ market it has progressed a lot in the past few years. YMMV.

I've had a Barbour Beaufort with a zip-in-able liner for over 20 years

Re-waxed it myself twice, piece of cake to do

Worn it to weddings and funerals suited and booted and on the terraces with jeans and falling-down clobber

Back
Top Bottom