Wax jacket curious

Looking for a durable / water-proof jacket predominantly for dog walking, school runs and general jobs out and about.

Never owned or even tried a wax jacket. My dad loved his fishing, and he owned one for years. Sadly, he's not around to ask - hence this post, and turning to you guys for advice.

I've never been too sure if they are more of a fashion item for those who do not live/work in the country (no offence intended) - or they would be a worthy investment. I'm not going to jump in and buy a premium product such as a Barbour - also understand they need TLC such as reproofing.

Would they do a job and are there any gateway brands?

Thanks, Richard

I had waxed jackets for years but to much upkeep for my liking plus i think they always look dirty if not treated properly.
I bought two jackets last year
one was a duvet / puffer which was wind proof but not rain proof the other was an over jacket which was rain proof to protect the first jacket
weird i know lol
Iv bought Rab clothing for a number of years now and for me it’s the way forward.
Like yourself i really only wear them for walking the dog.
When it’s cold i wear the puffer type & any signes of rain the outer goes on.
Not cheap but last as long as you want them to.
Also meant to say both fold down in to a small pouch

I have had plenty of Barbour wax jackets, they are hard wearing and fairly thornproof, which may a benefit if you are dog walking in overgrown brush areas. Have a look on eBay there will be plenty and fairly cheap, Barbour waxed jackets are good and rugged, If your priority is for a waterproof jacket then look else where. Also and worth noting, if you have a waterproof jacket, the torso will be dry but the legs will be soaking, due to the water shedding

I have had plenty of Barbour wax jackets, they are hard wearing and fairly thornproof, which may a benefit if you are dog walking in overgrown brush areas. Have a look on eBay there will be plenty and fairly cheap, Barbour waxed jackets are good and rugged, If your priority is for a waterproof jacket then look else where. Also and worth noting, if you have a waterproof jacket, the torso will be dry but the legs will be soaking, due to the water shedding
Thank you. Had a good think about the care needed and my use of a jacket. Went over to Skipton today and bought a more traditional walking coat + a soft shell.

Bit late now as I see you've bought one, but for dog walking in bad weather and general stuff that's liable to ruin clothes I've always used this type of thing...

UC804.jpg

Cheap, completely waterproof, tough wearing and you can always pretend to be a workman!

i spend as much time outside as I can, especially in and around fieldsports. If you are beating through thorns waxed jackets and leggings are unbeatable, for everything else there is Musto.

I love my wax jackets, I have both a Barbour Bedale and Beaufort. They aren’t very warm although you can add liners or thick jumpers but they are great for the typically temperate British climate. I have Paramo waterproof Jackets which are much better for keeping you dry in torrential rain but they aren’t very stylish at all if that’s important to you. I like the ruggedness of wax jackets and mine are 20+ years old and still going strong. I do re-wax mine yearly but actually quite like the process. They have lots of useful pockets, sturdy zips and look good with pretty much anything you wear. One downside is the hood, they aren’t very good in the wind.

Can't really add that much insofar as I also have a couple of wax jackets, but as others have said they do take a bit of looking after to keep waterproofed; I usually do mine in the height of summer in the garden when the sun is shining so that the wax naturally penetrates into the cloth jacket.

I think what’s paramount with any waterproof jacket is that it’s breathable - no point keeping the rain out if you still end up soaked Inside. I should add that I do tend to sweat profusely.

I had a waxed Belstaff jacket as a motorcyclist, it was perfect for the job but needed the Belstaff liner to keep me warm. Then I bought a simple dark blue waxed jacket for country walks, did the job and it was only £15 from a street market so I am not going to complain about the shorter length.

My ex had an Australian Dryazabone, perfect for what she wanted, as I was but that's a longer story.

I would like another, waxed jacket that is, but my car has cream leather seats that are heated and I have heard some horror stories of the wax going into the leather, anyone have experience of this?

Do you see people using them at the North Pole or South pole? Mountain climbing? No. There is a reason. "Cotton kills" is an old outdoorsman saw, There are better products light years ahead nowadays.

FWIW: this UK co. gets rave reviews for their jackets:

Do you see people using them at the North Pole or South pole? Mountain climbing? No. There is a reason. "Cotton kills" is an old outdoorsman saw, There are better products light years ahead nowadays.

FWIW: this UK co. gets rave reviews for their jackets:

Never heard of this company, looks interesting :)

I love my wax jackets, I have both a Barbour Bedale and Beaufort. They aren’t very warm although you can add liners or thick jumpers but they are great for the typically temperate British climate. I have Paramo waterproof Jackets which are much better for keeping you dry in torrential rain but they aren’t very stylish at all if that’s important to you. I like the ruggedness of wax jackets and mine are 20+ years old and still going strong. I do re-wax mine yearly but actually quite like the process. They have lots of useful pockets, sturdy zips and look good with pretty much anything you wear. One downside is the hood, they aren’t very good in the wind.

Exactly this. I use the Barbour in London where they are arguably quite stylish and more often than you are just exposed to the elements for short periods, Goretex when I am back in rural Shropshire where my family hail from.

Hmmph….I often used to go battering through woodland in all weathers with my Beaufort. Best jacket for it ever. Waterproof, good fit for mobility and thorn, bark, branch and fall on yer arse proof. Got this muckle great poacher’s pocket on the tail that was great for stuffing all manner of ‘finds’ in. A countryman’s jacket designed for a purpose and certain conditions and at that, it bloomin’ well excelled.

Oh aye, totally forgot: it was brilliant to wear on my old Vespa whilst whipping down country lanes in the Borders. More stylish than the ubiquitous parka and nae daft hood either. Hoods. I hates ’em.

Stick yer modern Whoretex - for my purposes, I’d have killed it inside a month.

Back
Top Bottom