Water Meter

Well,, after much debate, arguement, counter arguement over many months, my wife unanimously decided that in the interests of ecology and economy it was happening!

The thing was installed 2 days ago and try as I may, I just cant stop thinking about how much water Im using every time I turn a tap on! It so annoying and of course its got to the shaving routine ,,Big time.

My water changes and rinses are less than half what they used to be, I only turn the tap to a trickle to splash my face, I only have it on trickle when i brush my teeth and actually turn it off when brushing and on to rinse and clean the brush!!

I'm in and out of the shower in a few minutes instead of my once normal 15 minutes and dont even talk about the garden!! Im going out later to buy yet another butt bringing us up to 3 now!!!

Im not doing any of this because I want to but the fact that the damn meter is now installed makes me somehow feel I should be doing all I can to conserve water and lower the bill :?
So good people if you're thinking about a water meter think long and hard,,it will change your morning shave routine and probably your way of life :!: .
Fortunately, we can have it taken away within the first year if we elect to but Im sure the bills will convince us, viz, my wife that it's here to stay. Strange thing is, my wife hasn't changed any of her water useage habits and reckons Im loosing the plot :shock: ,,, maybe I'm developing one of those compulsive disorder thingies :)
Its strange though how such an inanimate object can change one's long established morning and daily routine :shock:
Regards, beejay

Luckily apart from the current dry spell, "Scotland's got plenty of water" (this was told to me directly by a Scottish Water employee after Lothian & Borders Fire & Rescue Service sucked 3500 cubic metres from the main and left us with discoloured water - told to run the tap as long as we liked until it ran clear) so water metering is not on the cards here - in fact since water charges are still rolled in with council tax, I'm not even sure it's possible to get a water meter installed....

I was actually thinking of installing a microhydroelectric scheme, powered by the tap...

It's just plain daft to using drinking water to water the lawn or even flush the bog, after six months of metered use I thought where the hell is all this water going? Eco toilets, water butts, grey water salvage system.

I didn't account for the Mrs putting on a half full washing machine every other day. Bingo, water consumption reduced by a third. :shock:

My shaving routine has remained the same but then again I don't use running water to rinse the razor, no big deal.

A, um ...mixed sorta 'condolences' and 'good on ya for what you've been doing' from the Urban Hermitage (aka Cold-Water Flats). .. and sympathies re: OCD-AD, and the SWMB_ dictates.

• Sometimes, I swear, it's like we get together with them for the love/lust & companionship/romanticism, and they get together with us to have someone to boss around and kick, especially if you're down... mumble grumble mutter splutter ...[/list:u][/list:u]

;)

Where I live in the west of Scotland people used to believe that our webbed hands & feet were down to excessive inbreeding ; it's actually just part of our ongoing evolution to dwelling in a permament cloud of water vapour. As I was told when I first moved here, "If you can't see the loch it's raining ; if you can see the loch it's just about to rain".

JohnnyO.

Johnny. The in-breeding has quite a lot to do with it as well tho'.

In the schools down here they teach the kids how to count up to 24 using all of their fingers and toes! :?

I was a guest at a local wedding, and everyone was sitting in the same side of the church! :eek:

I can imagine the concept of a hosepipe ban in the West Coast of Scotland is about as alien as the thought of us winning the world cup. We hear about it on the news in other areas but I don't think it is even on the discussion table for the future (both water meters and the World Cup); think they would be a riot if they tried to charge us for something that is so apparently abundant. I drove past out local reservoir last week and it is as high as it ever is, probably higher after the week of rain we just had.

We should sell the stuff or try to swap some of it for some sunshine, cloudy 14 degrees and showery here today, I do not need to worry about watering my grass or sunburn but it does get a bit annoying when you have to put the central heating on in the morning in July.

we got a water meter fitted as i got p****d off paying the same as our neighbours who have 3 kids and the washing machine, dishwasher, shower etc is never off

you get 14 months to decide if you think it's worth it, if not you just tell them you want to go back on rates

my bill nearly halved :shock: :D

BUT there's only 2 of us and i get a shower at work everyday so i didn't use a lot of water to start with

there's a good calculator on money-saving-expert.com (Martin Lewis's website)

basically more bedrooms than people it's a no-brainer

make sure they read the meter though, i started with them estimating my bills and needless to say they were miles out :roll:

hando said:
we got a water meter fitted as i got p****d off paying the same as our neighbours who have 3 kids and the washing machine, dishwasher, shower etc is never off

you get 14 months to decide if you think it's worth it, if not you just tell them you want to go back on rates

my bill nearly halved :shock: :D

BUT there's only 2 of us and i get a shower at work everyday so i didn't use a lot of water to start with

there's a good calculator on money-saving-expert.com (Martin Lewis's website)

basically more bedrooms than people it's a no-brainer

make sure they read the meter though, i started with them estimating my bills and needless to say they were miles out :roll:

Thanks hando and all the other replies.
Only the two of us now so we should see some saving, but its the change of routine and mindset thats proving interesting, to me at least.
Regards, beejay

Back
Top Bottom