Washing dense brushes

Hi all,

Just wanted a bit of advice.

I have a Duke 2, it's quite a dense brush for it's size compared to my other brushes and I'm having a bit of trouble making sure that it's rinsed clean.

After I have a shave, I really rinse it but notice when it's dry, there's soap scum on the inner hairs! It's driving me mad as the only way I can think of getting rid of this scum is to shampoo and condition the brush.

How do you guys look after your dense brushes to ensure you don't have these problems?

I'm a bit worried that the scum may damage the hair and I don't want to keep on shampooing it to make sure it's clean as I'm again worried that I may damage the knot.

OK I haven't any experience of this but how about once a week or fortnight soaking the brush in warm water for a few minutes? With a bit of swishing about the soap should dissipate in to the water.

I might try that PC, thanks for the suggestion.

My last shave I must have rinsed it for atleast 5 mins and inside I can still see a little bit of soap scum inside the knot. It's driving me mad!!!

Fill your sink with warm water, then put your hand under the water, submerge the brush and pat the brush onto the palm of your hand.

I find this pushes water into the centre of the knot and is a good way of rinsing it through.

I think it is something I read in one of Fido's posts.

I'm a bit like Kev, I give it a swirl in warm water, the only difference is that I use my bowl.

You do a clean up routine every shave anyway, so while you're rinsing your bowl out with warm water, and once the soap has gone from the bowl, give the brush a swirl and a press up and down in the bowl as the tap runs into it. It's amazing how much extra soap residue comes out.

Thanks Andrew, I don't use a bowl as I face lather.

My other brushes are spotless, it's just this likes to hold lather in it's knot. Still, I have a few things to try now.

Antdad: :lol:

Back
Top Bottom