voskhod de blades

D

Deleted member 12673

hello people so first time i used a gillette slim adjustable and first time i used a voskhod de blade,
i read a lot before about how this blade is up there as a very good blade,
honestly i'd probably rate it was average, defo not the sharp i'd say about average and smootheness again was average imo

how do you lot rate them?

I count it as one of my top blades. While it's not the sharpest out of the gates, it's certainly sharp enough. Smooth indeed!
whats your hair like? thick or thin?

mines very thick and coarse

i had a bbs but i felt like i had to go over some spots more then usual,
bare in mind i had in the gillette slim adjustable at the highest setting on number 9

Another fan of voskhod here. Love those blades, one in my top 5. Not the sharpest but definitely more than sharp enough for my coarse stubble. Recently bought a pack of 100
i remember watching a youtuber that loved voskhod so much the guy literally had hundred of them,
mind you i watched this vid a few years and after watching that vid i was going to order a hundred of them,
honestly now looking back im glad i didnt, just reminds me of the average derby green extra imo

whats your hair like? thick or thin?

mines very thick and coarse

i had a bbs but i felt like i had to go over some spots more then usual,
bare in mind i had in the gillette slim adjustable at the highest setting on number 9
Thick/coarse ... like you, salt & pepper.

I read somewhere that the white hairs are quite a different constitution to the pigmented hairs and are somewhat stronger/thicker. I might be wrong, but I certainly feel like my shaving has had to change since the white came through.

I like sharp blades and I find blades will tail off quite quickly for me. Three shaves off any blade is usually enough. If I push for four, I will always regret it as regrowth will be irritable and prone to a few that stay under the surface and grow through unevenly. For the price of DE blades, you might as well chuck 'em after a couple of uses and not entertain their dying qualities.

I know there's some discussion that can be had around his method, but this chap at least did something actually scientific about trying to understand blade sharpness: https://www.refinedshave.com/razor-blade-sharpness-summary/

What I read into his findings is that particularly GIllette are better on the second run (or certainly sharpen up during the first run). Their sharpness at the end of the first use is usually dramatically sharper than from new. If we look at sharpness from new, we're looking at: Feather, Gillette Nacet Stainless, BIC Chrome, PermaSharp Super & Personna Platinum (Israeli) as the sharpest; after one shave, it's: PermaSharp Super, Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (Black), BIC Chrome, Wilkinson Sword (German) & Gillette Nacet Stainless.

My preferred sharpest blades are: PermaSharp Super, Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge (Yellow), Silver Star Super Stainless Gillette London Bridge & Feather. That said, my favourite sharp AND smooth (all rounders) are: Treet Platinum, Rapira Platinum Lux, VOSKHOD, Lord Classic & Gillette Super Blue.

Voskhod are still one of my favourites - smooth as you like through all of my razors. However the pass around Rockwell hated them - I've not had a worse shave since my first inexperienced time using trying to use a 1912! It's not a "dangerous" sharp blade, but it is a daily blade that can easily deliver BBS without much thought. The Voskhod will have to share the stage with Tigers and numerous Gillettes that I'm coming to appreciate more, but I will happily go back to it in regular rotation. @saj1985 , maybe put it through another razor before you decide it's not for you:unsure:

Always amazed how the very same blade can give you such a different experience loaded in a different razor.

As @Jester Voskhod is one of my go to blades. Gives me very smooth, comfortable shaves in my Tatara Masamune but paired with Rockwell Model T, let's just say it was not a match made up in heaven.

I did use the website mentioned above by @pjgh quite a bit in order to customise my DE blade purchase orders :sneaky:

Thick/coarse ... like you, salt & pepper.

I read somewhere that the white hairs are quite a different constitution to the pigmented hairs and are somewhat stronger/thicker. I might be wrong, but I certainly feel like my shaving has had to change since the white came through.

I like sharp blades and I find blades will tail off quite quickly for me. Three shaves off any blade is usually enough. If I push for four, I will always regret it as regrowth will be irritable and prone to a few that stay under the surface and grow through unevenly. For the price of DE blades, you might as well chuck 'em after a couple of uses and not entertain their dying qualities.

I know there's some discussion that can be had around his method, but this chap at least did something actually scientific about trying to understand blade sharpness: https://www.refinedshave.com/razor-blade-sharpness-summary/

What I read into his findings is that particularly GIllette are better on the second run (or certainly sharpen up during the first run). Their sharpness at the end of the first use is usually dramatically sharper than from new. If we look at sharpness from new, we're looking at: Feather, Gillette Nacet Stainless, BIC Chrome, PermaSharp Super & Personna Platinum (Israeli) as the sharpest; after one shave, it's: PermaSharp Super, Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (Black), BIC Chrome, Wilkinson Sword (German) & Gillette Nacet Stainless.

My preferred sharpest blades are: PermaSharp Super, Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge (Yellow), Silver Star Super Stainless Gillette London Bridge & Feather. That said, my favourite sharp AND smooth (all rounders) are: Treet Platinum, Rapira Platinum Lux, VOSKHOD, Lord Classic & Gillette Super Blue.

didnt know that about white hairs, thats interesting that is

yea ill probably give the voskhod another go in the russain saiver razor that i really like and thats a hybrid so ill be able to test both open and closed comb on it too

maybe i need to try every blade in the sampler pack at least two times maybe on two different razors?

i want to try out especially try out BIC, Perma Sharp, Sputnik too

btw you ever tried Sputnik? pretty sure its russian

Voskhod are still one of my favourites - smooth as you like through all of my razors. However the pass around Rockwell hated them - I've not had a worse shave since my first inexperienced time using trying to use a 1912! It's not a "dangerous" sharp blade, but it is a daily blade that can easily deliver BBS without much thought. The Voskhod will have to share the stage with Tigers and numerous Gillettes that I'm coming to appreciate more, but I will happily go back to it in regular rotation. @saj1985 , maybe put it through another razor before you decide it's not for you:unsure:
i just found myself going over the same area a few more times then normal,
so doesnt happen with say for example these blades, feather, nacets, rapira swedish, wilkinson sword, derby black premium, astra sp's,
yea not all of those mentioned above like for example the derby black premiums are the most sharpest blades out there but they do the job without really struggling

have you tried the gillette slim with the voskhod before? if so, what number do you have it dialled in at?

i just found myself going over the same area a few more times then normal,
so doesnt happen with say for example these blades, feather, nacets, rapira swedish, wilkinson sword, derby black premium, astra sp's,
yea not all of those mentioned above like for example the derby black premiums are the most sharpest blades out there but they do the job without really struggling

have you tried the gillette slim with the voskhod before? if so, what number do you have it dialled in at?
Only with a Gillette Slim Twist. They were fine.

didnt know that about white hairs, thats interesting that is

yea ill probably give the voskhod another go in the russain saiver razor that i really like and thats a hybrid so ill be able to test both open and closed comb on it too

maybe i need to try every blade in the sampler pack at least two times maybe on two different razors?

i want to try out especially try out BIC, Perma Sharp, Sputnik too

btw you ever tried Sputnik? pretty sure its russian
Yes, Sputnik is under the P&G brand made in St Petersburg. It's pretty pedestrian, to be honest. I'm not sure who was copy who, but the Sputnik and the Voskhod make a lot of being teflon coated when actually pretty much all blades are teflon coated. It think there's a bit of inter-company rivalry going on there, but Voskhod is a far superior blade.

See the link I put above? You can see the Sputnik is quite a dull blade. Likewise, the Astra Platinum (another P&G St Petersburg blade incorporated from the former Soviet Union) and the Rapira Swedish. Vokshod is made by Rapira, but the way. Their Platinum Lux is a good blade. Again, you can see some striking similarities with the Gillette Rubia ... and again, the Rapira is a better blade in my opinion. Personally, I really don't like the Swedish Supersteel. It's never suited me. Nor their very basic Stainless.

PermaSharp Super are really good! Make that a reasonably priority to try out soon ...

Back
Top Bottom