Video : making lather with Edwin Jagger/Muhle soaps.

Some people have reported to have problems to make stable,thick lather from the new Edwin Jagger/Muhle shaving soaps.
This is my technique to make lather with these great soaps.Remember that they are triple milled soaps and they need to be loaded with more "patience" than "melt and pour" shaving soaps.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FVedZ3wf2k[/video]

With the triple is there a time lag that needs to take place before the lather starts to 'really' react and thicken?? Like waiting for a chemical reaction to take place?

I wouldn't say there is a time lag as such you just need to soften and load sufficiently with soaps that are harder. It also helps that you invert the puck as Tieste has done, not great for the brush but it enables the soap to enter the breach more easily.

Thanks. Interesting video. Not sure that it's converted me to hand lathering? Still like to use a bowl with just a sliver pressed into the bottom

Hi Teiste. Your preferred consistency looks similar to mine (perhaps a touch thicker). As a fan of Provence Santé and L'Occitane Cade, I too find lengthy loading to create a "paste" is the best option. Until today, I'd only ever face-lathered with soaps, but I tried bowl-lathering the Cade, with interesting results. When I'd face-lathered it, I found it needed significantly more water than the PS soap; yet, when I bowl-lathered it, I added roughly the same amount in installments but found I'd over-hydrated the lather, as, after I applied it to my face, I heard the dreaded "fizzing" sound. After getting a touch more paste on the brush from the cake and working it into the collapsing lather I had left in the bowl, I was able to rescue it, and my second and third passes were much better as a result.

Back
Top Bottom