Varnishing brush handle

I took delivery today of a Semogue 1305
4833364733_6677a7ee86.jpg

I have read on other forums about the paint finish not being the best and chiping off. One user stated that he had tried to allegedly remove some dirt from the groove in the handle with his thumb nail and chiped a piece of paint off.
Before I use it too much would there be anything wrong with putting a layer or two of varnish on the handle to protect the paint underneath?

I'm hoping some of the brush makers / experts can advise me!

I was really just thinking of some model varnish really.....

You shouldn't put varnish or lacquer on top of existing varnish or paint without cutting back/keying the old top coat.
I would advise leaving your brush alone if its not chipped. Adding another coat isnt really going to offer more protection than its currently got and if not done properly it could make the handle look pretty awful.
regards, beejay

beejay said:
You shouldn't put varnish or lacquer on top of existing varnish or paint without cutting back/keying the old top coat.
I would advise leaving your brush alone if its not chipped. Adding another coat isnt really going to offer more protection than its currently got and if not done properly it could make the handle look pretty awful.
regards, beejay

Couldn't agree more. A new coat will do nothing to enhance the adherence of the original coat to the wood, or to diminish the brittleness of the original coat -- unless you would virtually encase the whole brush in a tight-fitting 'sleeve' of plastic; which would 'uglify' it no end...

If you want to do a recoat, you'd have to do a proper recoat, preferably removing the entire finish layer until all you have is bare wood... And that is best left for when it is truly necessary.

Thanks Henk

If you want to do a recoat, you'd have to do a proper recoat, preferably removing the entire finish layer until all you have is bare wood... And that is best left for when it is truly necessary

By which point I'd probably just buy a new one.

It was just a thought. Not wishing to tempt fate I haven't dropped a brush yet so I will remain as careful as I can. It wasn't the water ingress I was concerned about as I stand my brushes upright in a mug of hot water just to the top of the bristles.

Back
Top Bottom