Valet Autostrop & Wilkinson Sword SE Razors

Greetings

I felt it might be of interest to some of you who are contemplating getting a Valet Autostrop or a Wilkinson Sword Razor to share my experiences modifying modern SE blades to fit some of these razors.

First it must be said that in the case of the Wilkinson Sword Razors, these were designed to use wedge blades or a propriety Wilkinson SE blade (long out of production) the wedge blades are very slightly narrower in width and considerably less deep. A slight 'tuning' of the razor is required to use modern blades which is perfectly described and illustrated by Jamie in this excellent article here:- http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/thread-10963.html

I use a slightly different method to remove the spine but you arrive at exactly the same end either way, by gripping just the back edge of the aluminium spine with a pair of pliers or better still pincers bend the blade slightly by pressing it on the work surface and the spine will open up allowing the blade to be removed with just finger pressure.

Having removed the spine, with the same pliers or pincers remove the bottom corners from the blade as shown in the photo, how much you remove for use in both the Valet Razor and for the Wilkinson is not at all critical. I simply grip the blade tight in my fingers and just snap off the pieces of metal. It might sound tricky or dangerous but in practice they snap off easily on the GEM Stainless PTFE coated blades and even easier on modern carbon blades ie Treets or Blue Stars.

The only dangerous part where extra care needs to be taken is inserting the blades into the blade holder on the Wilkinson razor as it is necessary to make a bridge with ones finger and thumb over the sharp edge of the blade to slide closed the blade retaining catch. A safer and probably more sensible alternative is to use snipe nosed pliers!

The photo's show the sequence of modifying the blade.

I have taken a photo of my one Wilkinson and several Valet Razors to show which model Valet Autostrops will take these modified blades and it is only the first two Valets ie the models with the narrow blade holder, the four Valet Models on the right will not and the Valet Razor on the extreme right will not even take a feather SE blade because of the position of the pins/cutouts.

A problem purchasing Valet Razors and Wilkinsons from e-bay (which for most of us is the only source) is they are generally photographed face down so it is not possible to tell which model they are from the back as you cannot see the blade holder. The plus side is that they are often cheap, in the case of Valets (which IMHO) are the better shavers very cheap so if you buy a duffer for three quid you have not lost the earth.

My knowledge of the different models of Wilkinson Sword razors is strictly limited but I believe that only the Empire model is capable of taking the modified blades but I would welcome hearing from anybody who has succeeded with a different model, to be 100% sure I feel you would need to hold the razor in your hand and examine it.

I do not think these razors are the holy grail of shaving but they are just fun to play about with and do give a really good shave. I would add as a slight word of caution that if you 'play' about with these razors using modified blades enough it would almost seem inevitable that you will cut a finger eventually!

Regards
Dick

DSC04074.JPG

DSC04058.JPG

DSC04080.JPG

Brilliant post, Dick. I really quite fancy trying one of these now, probably the Valet. How do they compare to an Ever Ready 1912?

Great post Dick - I think you are fast becoming the SE guru.

Another question from me, does this mean that the Feather fits all those in the picture apart from the last Valet?

nice job, very informative,one little tip that could be helpfull,the gem blades have a card sheath you can leve on whilst making adjustments, that will help with protection. :heart:

UKRob said:
Great post Dick - I think you are fast becoming the SE guru.

Another question from me, does this mean that the Feather fits all those in the picture apart from the last Valet?

Greetings Rob

Yes that's right, I don't know how many models of Valet the Feather blade does not fit but I suspect only a few. Your'e in with a 90% chance of buying one that will take the Feather blades. Carl (Bechet) bought one that didn't and so did I, it is a bit of a guessing game/lottery

Regards
Dick.

Gairdner said:
Brilliant post, Dick. I really quite fancy trying one of these now, probably the Valet. How do they compare to an Ever Ready 1912?
Greetings Graeme

A similar style of shave, the Valet models that take the modified GEM blades are older and more aggressive than the models that only take the Feather blades. If you can get a good shave from a 1912 I strongly suspect you would from any of these razors.

The Wilkinson Sword razors are by the way adjustable, you can wind forward or backward the quirky screw type roller guard bar from the blades edge by means of the knob at the back of the razor, it will go from very mild to very aggressive; what's new then!

Regards
Dick.

Cheers Dick - really useful post, the pictures explain things particularly well. I think I'll skip the razor for the moment - modifying blades isn't really my thing.

That said, I love the look of the WS Empire - it has a real steampunk theme!! Anything with cogs on has to be worth looking at.

Cheers for the post Dick, really useful. I like the look of those WS razors but was aware they used their own blade. The pictures and explanation are really helpful. I might look at picking one of these up soon.

John said:
nice job, very informative,one little tip that could be helpfull,the gem blades have a card sheath you can leve on whilst making adjustments, that will help with protection. :heart:

Greetings John

I never ever thought of that! I don't have the mental horsepower to think of such obvious things.

Brilliant! I have just tried and you can remove the spine and the corners with the card sheath still on the blade, well done John why didn't I think of that!

Regards
Dick.

ChopperHarris said:
That's his Wilkinson Empire - it really is pretty! I reckon that if they took off the shelf blades, they'd be more of a collectors item.

Thanks, I just have a weakness for funky razors.. Don't have to be entirely functional :icon_razz:

Norfolkdick said:
John said:

Greetings John

I never ever thought of that! I don't have the mental horsepower to think of such obvious things.

Brilliant! I have just tried and you can remove the spine and the corners with the card sheath still on the blade, well done John why didn't I think of that!

Regards
Dick.

Hi Dick I have to confess I have played around with these blades and almost got cut :blush: the brain wave will help keep every body keep safe :icon_razz:

Very good description; I had also found using the card sheath useful in protecting the fingers. Once you have done these manouvres a few times a fresh blade can be prepared very quickly. However with my Valet model I find retaining a small lip at the top rather than snipping the corner completely allows a firmer locating of the blade within the holder.

NorfolkD,

Are the Wilkinson Sword Blades easy to maintain, do you know? And would it be ?possible without the strop that came with the full cased set? And how do they shave?

I'm getting a little obsessed with getting hold of one of the 7 day sets.

Cheers,

Jon

jds said:
NorfolkD,

Are the Wilkinson Sword Blades easy to maintain, do you know? And would it be ?possible without the strop that came with the full cased set? And how do they shave?

I'm getting a little obsessed with getting hold of one of the 7 day sets.

Cheers,

Jon

Greetings Jon,

I have not shaved with one of the original blades they are a hollow ground blade not an ordinary wedge in the true sense, the one that came with my razor was in real poor shape and would need the services of somebody who could hone and had all the stones and skills etc to do so. I suspect once you got it honed perfectly you could perhaps maintain the edge on a strop for quite a while, you might need to use some sort of paste, Valet in the early days supplied paste with their sets.

One thing I have noticed with all these old self stropping razors are that the strops if they are with the sets at all appear to me (and bear in mind I am not a straight razor shaver) to be partially or totally 'knackered' most having been folded into three for the last seventy years to fit in the box or tin and have either been subjected to damp and are partially rotten or have completely dried out. You would really need somebody like Neil Miller to make you a new one in order to be in with a chance.

My only experience with this razor is using the modified GEM blades.

One tiny word of caution if you go down the strop route is you need to take great care that the blade flips over at the end of each stroke, if it does not you can cut the strop in two! I have cut an old Valet Strop this way, which mattered little as it was already pretty useless but this is not something you would want to do with a new expensive strop.

UK Rob I am sure will share with you his experiences of honing and sharpening blades for an old Heljestrand SE razor, the principles are the same.

Regards
Dick.

Back
Top Bottom