Using Vintage Blades

A recent ebay purchase cane with a Gillette Blue blade from the 1950's or 60's.

It's sealed in its original wrapping.

My question is whether this is okay to use straight out of the packet or would it need to be wiped with Isoporopyl Alcohol first?

ajc347 said:

My question is whether this is okay to use straight out of the packet or would it need to be wiped with Isoporopyl Alcohol first?

If you're confident in your technique etc, no big harm in giving it a go - I might dip it in surgical spirit/similar (and allow it to dry) - certainly wouldn't wipe it though.

I've never quite seen the point in shaving with vintage blades. I've bought a couple of Gillette vintage razors that have had an original blade or 5 included but to be frank there are plenty of new blades out there and you are in no doubt whatsoever as to their quality. I don't see the point in gambling on an old blade. Unless I'm missing something?

I like to keep any original blades anyway, they're nice things to include in a sale and they can't harm the resale value any.

ajc347 said:

No bacteria is going to grow on steel. Well, not on DE blades sitting in storage anyway. I'd be more concerned about the sharpness deteriorating due to rust than anything else.

I've been using Gillette Blue blades from the early 50s and really enjoying them. The have been smooth and irritation free, even with the occasional ATG shave. I will miss them when the are gone.

They beat the **** out of Merkur blades, that's for sure!

Maybe carbon steel holds an edge better than stainless?

Drroly said:
I've been using Gillette Blue blades from the early 50s and really enjoying them. The have been smooth and irritation free, even with the occasional ATG shave. I will miss them when the are gone.

They beat the **** out of Merkur blades, that's for sure!

Maybe carbon steel holds an edge better than stainless?

Well it aint hard to beat a merkur, most of the blades in my used blade bin would beat a merkur

I brought back some old 60/70s Wilkinsons from my parents in law house recently and tried one this morning.
Marked Made in England each DE blade also contained 2 single edge blades in the same wrapper which I binned.
The shave was superb! and I only wish there'd been more of these to bring back.
If anyone has some old UK made Wilkinsons they want to sell, let me know.
regards,beejay

Back
Top Bottom