used my new stuff for the first time - wow

hi all,

im a newbie, posted a picture last night of a load of stuff i had bought and used it today for the first time. did have a shave last week with an old brush and a cheap plastic wilkinson sword DE but count this as my first 'proper' de shave.

what can i say - loved it!

preshave routine was, hot shower, proraso sensitive pre shave cream, then face lather with ej pure badger bush and truefitt and hill sample of 1805 shaving cream. then shaved with my ej 89l with and astra blade. felt great - not baby's bum smooth but a good shave for my fisrt attempt. did two passes - with the grain and across.

after shave routine was alum bloc, follwoed by cold water rinse then t&h 1805 aftershave balm - sample again.

had one or two little nick on my neck, nothing major. for my first time with 'proper' kit im very pleased, and actually enjoyed shaving!

Well in.

My first ever DE shave went really well, only problem was that it made me a bit 'ambitious' and I went on to make a bit of a hash with the subsequent shaves. You have got off to a flyer, your prep is spot on, as is your cream, razor and brush. I am certainly no expert, but I think if you keep up that particular routine you won't go far wrong.

Regards

moodymick said:
Practice, practice, practice. Just remember - don't get cocky kid ;) :)

Yups, 101%. Stick with what you have now for a couple of weeks until your technique is solid and your getting consistent shaves - The lure of changing something is oh so high.. (We all know only to well) But stick to your guns.

Then change things slowly. Dont go mad. Keep your variables to a minimum so you can pick up on any changes that might not be right for you.
Give it another month or two after that and then you should be at the point where you can start to really play about.

Great start tho Milkman, feels good doesn't it!

Attero said:
moodymick said:

Yups, 101%. Stick with what you have now for a couple of weeks until your technique is solid and your getting consistent shaves - The lure of changing something is oh so high.. (We all know only to well) But stick to your guns.

Then change things slowly. Dont go mad. Keep your variables to a minimum so you can pick up on any changes that might not be right for you.
Give it another month or two after that and then you should be at the point where you can start to really play about.

it feels great! how long does an astra blade last on average? i realise its a variable anyone have any experience? one shave? 2, 5 ? ive really no idea?

I shared the same feeling just recently too!

It is interesting how I take notice of the wealth of cosmetic shops that have always been there.
I recently went shaving soap/cream window shopping which I'm glad I did, scents are so personal.

themilkman said:
Attero said:
moodymick said:

it feels great! how long does an astra blade last on average? i realise its a variable anyone have any experience? one shave? 2, 5 ? ive really no idea?

Ah! the great ponderable. How long is a piece of string? There are so many variables. When it begins to feel...not quite right, change. Usually 3-4 shaves is the average.

rangers62 said:
Ah! the great ponderable. How long is a piece of string? There are so many variables. When it begins to feel...not quite right, change. Usually 3-4 shaves is the average.
I usually chuck blades after 3-4 goes too, and I have a light beard, I see no point in reducing the quality/pleasure of shaving for the sake of a few pence..

FB.

I get 3 good shaves with an Astra Keramic M/Man, I could probably stretch 4, but why spoil the enjoyment for the sake of one more shave. I'm with the Anster & Attero on thinking it would be good not to change too much for a week or so. You've got a very nice set up there of well established & proven products which seem to be suiting your skin & developing technique. Glad you're enjoying the shaving experience.

JohnnyO. \ :D

FrenchBlade said:
rangers62 said:
I usually chuck blades after 3-4 goes too, and I have a light beard, I see no point in reducing the quality/pleasure of shaving for the sake of a few pence..

FB.

Yes I agree, and especially over the next few weeks why risk a worn-out blade interfering with your shaving practice? Bin your blades after three days just to be on the safe side. Once you are confident you can try them for longer, and you'll soon get to know when a blade is past it.

Well done, but keep your concentration and probably keep with the grain on your neck for now. Many experienced shavers don't bother xtg/atg on the neck area as it is a lot easier to nick or irritate than elsewhere.

thanks guys for the good wishes. i am going to stick to the same routiine for a bit while i hone my technique. i realise there will be some ups and downs to come, but actually felt proud of myself for taking my time and doing things properly!

When I use a DE on travels I like a fresh blade when I shave wasteful maybe but its like the feeling of clean sheets... And even if you brought feathers as I do its only 35p a shave, Not only that but how do you store your blade in between shaves??? If you leave it in the razors would this not attract rust of some sort as you could never get the razor completely dry as when I use a straight I strop after towel drying it then leave it out to air before packing away (maybe I'm to fussy but never had a problem yet)

Back
Top Bottom